• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

First Time Using Sheep Casings

Started by Caribou, May 30, 2009, 03:30:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caribou

Hi Everyone!
I just stuffed 4 pounds of sausage using sheep casings for the first time.
The ones I used are made by Eastman Outdoors.
I noticed that they smelled quite a bit stronger than the hog casings that I buy do.
Is that normal?
They didn't smell rotten and they were salted and sealed like they should be.
I soaked and washed them thoroughly, too.  But I could still slightly smell them if I put them close to my nose.
Thanks for any insight,
Carolyn

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Caribou on May 30, 2009, 03:30:24 PM
Hi Everyone!
I just stuffed 4 pounds of sausage using sheep casings for the first time.
The ones I used are made by Eastman Outdoors.
I noticed that they smelled quite a bit stronger than the hog casings that I buy do.
Is that normal?
They didn't smell rotten and they were salted and sealed like they should be.
I soaked and washed them thoroughly, too.  But I could still slightly smell them if I put them close to my nose.
Thanks for any insight,
Carolyn

Carolyn

If they were rotten you would know. Sheep is just a tad different in the smell. As long as they were salt packed and you soaked them good your ok.

But

If your finished sausage smells bad.....................chuck it.

nepas

Gizmo

Would a quick dip in vinegar water help out?  It does great for taking the gamey flavour out of other strong meats.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Tenpoint5

Quote from: Caribou on May 30, 2009, 03:30:24 PM
But I could still slightly smell them if I put them close to my nose.
Carolyn

Then don't hold them close to your nose!!!!! Sorry Carolyn I couldn't resist. Haven't had the pleasure of using sheep casings yet. I use collagen for the smaller sizes.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Smokin Soon

I do prefer the sheep casings for breakfast sausages that are stuffed and not smoked. No cure added. Gives you the freedom of tuning your tastes for sage, maple, garlic or whatever taste you like. I am in the mode now where I will only do a 3 pound test batch. Nothing goes to waste as I do quite a few bean dishes that welcome my leftover smoked stuff. Lots of fun!

Habanero Smoker

Though for me they are a pain to use, I use sheep casing for hot dogs, breakfast sausage etc (I don't like collagen casings, unless I intend to remove the casings after cooking).

Sheep casings do seem to have a stronger odor then hog casings. That odor seems to dissipate after soaking, stuffing and cooking. As Gizmo has pointed out, use some vinegar in the water when you soak them. The vinegar will also make the casings softer, and more translucent.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Caribou

Thanks for all the replies,
We had some of the sausage and it tasted fine...thank God!
Yeah, they weren't rotten just strong smelling.
I guess it's just part of trying something new.
But I'll try the vinegar thing next time around...good idea!
Other than that, I liked working with them and they were the perfect size for making breakfast sausage.
10.5, I'll keep my nose farther next time, too.  :D
Carolyn

Up In Smoke

I still have not done any sausage,
other than size what would the difference be between the hog casings and the sheep casings?
should one be used over the other?
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Up In Smoke on May 31, 2009, 11:46:16 AM
I still have not done any sausage,
other than size what would the difference be between the hog casings and the sheep casings?
should one be used over the other?

One should be used over the other for the diameter of the sausage. Sheep casings are smaller in diameter and use for sausage such as hot dogs, pepperoni, small link breakfast sausage. Sheep casings run from around 20mm up to about 26 mm; while hog casings start around 29mm up to around 60mm, but 32mm to 35 mm is the most common size hog casing for sausage.

I like sheep casings, but they are not long in length; at least the batches I have gotten. They are usually 6 feet to 8 feet in length, and for 5 pounds of sausage you have to four to six of them. They are difficult to load on to my smallest sausage tube. Another thing is that I tend to tear sheep chasing on occasion, but never have that problem with hog casing.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Up In Smoke

Habs,
so as a beginner the hog casings would be the way to go as they are more forgiving?
2 Bradley OBS
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Caribou

Hello!
the sheep casings that I used were about the size of a regular hot dog in diameter.
I was using them for breakfast sausage and I liked the size.
A little more generous that the regular breakfast links you see at the store.
I used the 20mm tube on my 5lb stuffer and had no problems getting them on the tubes which I lube with a little Crisco before I put a casing on it.
They wanted to tear in just a couple spots so I would agree they are a little less strong than hog casings.
But the collagen casings I tried once that were specifically made for fresh sausage were way more delicate than the sheep casings were for me.

Up in smoke,
You will love making sausages, it's a lot of fun!
Hope you give it a try sometime,
Carolyn

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Up In Smoke on May 31, 2009, 04:29:43 PM
Habs,
so as a beginner the hog casings would be the way to go as they are more forgiving?

yes

nepas

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on May 31, 2009, 07:50:12 PM
Quote from: Up In Smoke on May 31, 2009, 04:29:43 PM
Habs,

yes

nepas

That's a double yes! :)

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Up In Smoke

Carolyn,
sorry if i interrupted. i will try sausages soon.
i plan on ordering some stuff in the next week or two so i can get started.
my problem is that i need food safe lubricant, casings, spices, etc,etc,etc.
it seems never ending.
do i really need to buy a special lubricant for the gears on the stuffer and mixer
or can i use something available at the store? maybe save a little $$$.??
2 Bradley OBS

Caribou

Hi Upinsmoke!
Here's what Nepas recommended for a food safe lube:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat602009-cat20099&id=0022024516093a&navCount=1&podId=0022024&parentId=cat20099&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=2UG&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat601233&hasJS=true

But probably where ever you order your stuffer will most likely carry a food grade lube, too.

I bought an LEM 5# stuffer, which I am very happy with so far and they have a starter kit available, too.  Though you probably would rather buy things a la carte.
http://www.lemproducts.com/product/2120/90
Carolyn