• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

First Time Using Sheep Casings

Started by Caribou, May 30, 2009, 03:30:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Up In Smoke

thanks carolyn,
added to the shopping list!
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

brianl

Hi all

Didn't want to start a new thread for this, but I just bought some sheep casings, and I have a question.

They do not appear to be salted.  They are slipped over a strip of plastic (which kind of looks like the top of a Zip-Loc bag).  I also bought some hog casings at the same time and they are definitely salted.

Should I be salting them?  No immediate plans for using them, and apparently I've got about 200 yards worth (seems like a lot, but that's what they told me - maybe they meant feet?).

Thanks,

Brian

Caribou

Hi Brian,
I have sheep casings from Eastman Outdoors.
They are slipped over the plastic just as you mention but they are definitely cover generously in salt,
You may want to call your supplier and ask what to do but I'm sure someone on the forum will know what you should do also.
Carolyn

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: brianl on July 20, 2009, 03:34:56 PM
Hi all

Didn't want to start a new thread for this, but I just bought some sheep casings, and I have a question.

They do not appear to be salted.  They are slipped over a strip of plastic (which kind of looks like the top of a Zip-Loc bag).  I also bought some hog casings at the same time and they are definitely salted.

Should I be salting them?  No immediate plans for using them, and apparently I've got about 200 yards worth (seems like a lot, but that's what they told me - maybe they meant feet?).

Thanks,

Brian

Without seeing the package it is hard to tell. Both hog and sheep casing can be purchased unsalted. Unsalted casings are in a small amount of liquid, and are vacuum sealed, usually in a re-sealable bag. The benefit of purchasing them unsalted is that they don't have to be soaked, and are more tender. The down side is that they have a limited self life. You can extend the self life by salting any left over casings.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)