• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Got my new OBS, PID, and E73 Thermometer ....... And I "cured" it ..... but

Started by kaz, May 30, 2009, 05:00:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kaz

OK ......... thanks to a bunch of you folks I shifted from the DBS to the OBS and a PID and a Maverick ET-73 Thermometer (I love gadgets!!!). I crafted up a pretty nice rolling cart for the whole thing (I may do photos of it if I can figure out the photo add), wired everything per Auberins directions, then went to the Bradley Manual to "cure" it. Followed the instructions EXACTLY.
Concerns (of a newbie):
The PID was set for 150 degrees, but went well past 150 (175). I re set it three times and it never held at 150. I even reduced the slide control on the OBS, but the temp only dropped a couple degrees.
It was in the direct sunlight and the outside temp was 85.
I put in 5 pucks, per the manual, and after an hour there was only one (burned) in the water bowl ..... am I over reacting to a non-issue or do you guys see something I should check?
All tips greatly appreciated.
KAZ

Gizmo

Not sure about the PID question although from what I may remember, some of them have a learning curve (auto tune) and also may need a load to help keep a steady temp. 

The puck issue may be quite simple and a not to worry.
If you only loaded 5 pucks, then it is possible for only one to be in the water bowl.  3 pucks fit on ramp including on on the burner.  When you load the tube, it takes 3 cycles to get the first puck on the burner.  Cycles being 20 minutes or the push of the puck advance button.  When you power on the unit, it will automatically advance one.  40 minutes later, your first puck would hit the burner.  After 60 minutes, one in the water.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

kaz

See .......... I knew someone would jump in and allay my concerns!!!
THANK YOU.
I've gone out, gotten a bunch of ribs and plan to fire up the new OBS and enjoy some fabulous chow.
THANKS TO ALL FOR MY CONTINUING EDUCATION!!! I hope I can repay some of your generous favors!!!
KAZ

Wildcat

Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

kaz

GOT 'EM .......... just didn't use them for the curing process but I will for tha real smoke!!!
Thanks, though, for the reminder.
At my age I need lots of reminders!!!
Good news is ............ I can hide my own Easter eggs!!!!
KAZ