New OBS owner

Started by carpie99, May 30, 2009, 07:27:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

carpie99

Never owned a smoker before but got an OBS today and signed up on the forum today.

Looking forward to going through all the forums for good tips.  I have some ribs in a rub in the fridge right now and planning to fire my smoker up tomorrow.

I am looking for any good links to smoking technique for ribs in an OBS and also maybe a link to a list of all the acronyms :)

I have a boston butt in the freezer for next weekend :)

Phil

aces-n-eights

Hey Phil, Welcome!

Here's a link to a pictorial one of the guys did on ribs - good stuff.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=10182.0

There is a lot of great advice here - don't hesitate to ask away!  Be sure to visit the recipe site for a lot of inspiration.

As far as acronyms, here's a few...

IT - Internal Temp, using a meat thermometer.
PID - it doesn't really matter what it stands for, it's basically a high speed thermostat to control the temp in your Bradley
OBS - you figured that one out!  ;D
DBS - Digital...
FTC - Foil, Towel, Cooler.  Remove meat from smoker, wrap in foil, wrap in a towel and place in a cooler and let it rest for several hours - oh, yeah!
TLAR - one of my own... That Looks About Right.  It's how i sometimes follow recipes.  ;)

Again welcome and i'm sure others will be along shortly to add more acronyms.
US Army, retired, x2
Soldotna Alaska
"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well."
Psalm 109:8

Tenpoint5

Welcome Aboard Carpie!! Aces and Eights has you pointed in the same direction I was gonna send you. Hope your ribs get the Thumbs Up!!
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Habanero Smoker

Hi carpie99;

Welcome to the forum.

Here is another link on ribs:
Compitition Ribs

Acronyms:
Acronyms

Frequently Asked Questions:
Bradley Smoker FAQ's

Recipes:
Recipes

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

NePaSmoKer

Welcome Phil

Habs and A-n-E got you pointed right. All i can add is enjoy and you have allot of new friends  ;D

nepas

Roadking

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum carpie99!
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Curleyg

Welcome carpie99  ;D. You'll have a great time here. These folks are superb. I've only had my SSBS (new acronym for you) for three weeks. So far I've smoked a Boston butt, a chuck roast, racks of ribs, and my favorite so far a Corned beef brisket. The cat stood still for about ten minutes the other day, but my wife wasn't going for it.
Anyway, great recipes here and all the help you could ever need.
Enjoy   :P
U.S. Navy Retired

Caribou

Welcome to the forum Carpie!
You're going to love this forum and your new smoker.
Carolyn