Jerky Too

Started by NePaSmoKer, May 31, 2009, 10:25:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NePaSmoKer

So i said SELF

Why not do some jerky too  ;D

4 racks of jerky going now too. I think some heavy duty bars need to be made for the racks.

The BPS generator is working great  ;D

The IT of the box is holding steady at 160* I think i am going to add a 2 or 4 cfm fan above the smoke generator.

nepas

NePaSmoKer

The jerky is done now, resting before the brown paper bag  ;D  Marinated in my house wet marinade and a splash of JD  ;D

NEPAS

rayf01

Wow looks great. Mine is pretty much coming out right now. I find it hard to tell when this stuff is done. The top rock seems finished. Which was the bottom rack to being with. I took it out. Im going to take the others out in a bit.

They will still have some moisture in them right? ARgh, i find this to be the toughest part haha.

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: rayf01 on May 31, 2009, 06:36:17 PM
Wow looks great. Mine is pretty much coming out right now. I find it hard to tell when this stuff is done. The top rock seems finished. Which was the bottom rack to being with. I took it out. Im going to take the others out in a bit.

They will still have some moisture in them right? ARgh, i find this to be the toughest part haha.

I do rack rotation every 1.5 hrs. Jerky is done when you can bend itor until you like it  ;D some people like soft chewy other like dry.
You should have had your vent full open? and no water in your pan.

Go online and buy some cure #1 and ditch the TQ, I only use TQ when i brine turkey, its awful for jerky ans sticks.

nepas

rayf01

Hmm ggoing to have too. Looks like I over did it... again. Dryed to much. Its still not bad but not like I want it. Try and Try again. Im just afraid theres going to be to much moisture left and it'll go bad.

Gizmo

Quote from: rayf01 on May 31, 2009, 08:20:05 PM
Hmm ggoing to have too. Looks like I over did it... again. Dryed to much. Its still not bad but not like I want it. Try and Try again. Im just afraid theres going to be to much moisture left and it'll go bad.

Then you just have to eat it faster.   :D
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Buck36

Nepas,

How did the jerky compare to using you Cabela's dehydrator?

If the racks were a beefed up like you are talking about doing, you could store quite a bit of jerky in there. Jerky is what most people love when we process our deer. I am excited about your project!

Your plywood box is right in my price range!  ;D

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Buck36 on May 31, 2009, 08:51:28 PM
Nepas,

How did the jerky compare to using you Cabela's dehydrator?

If the racks were a beefed up like you are talking about doing, you could store quite a bit of jerky in there. Jerky is what most people love when we process our deer. I am excited about your project!

Your plywood box is right in my price range!  ;D

It was about the same. It just took a little longer to get done. The smoker temp held at 160* so i turned the bps to high and it got to 179* I think i am going to put a fan in it. I have the fan assy from an old excalibur dehydrator that will work. The SS bars i have my Bradley racks on need to be heavier or maybe some sort of wood supports.

The smoker box was given to me by a friend. Just guessing he might have put $30 into it.

nepas

BigJohnT

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on May 31, 2009, 10:25:49 AM
So i said SELF

Why not do some jerky too  ;D

4 racks of jerky going now too. I think some heavy duty bars need to be made for the racks.

nepas

Nepas, if you have a scrap yard near by cruse in and look for some stainless steel pipe or tubing, much stronger than rod and you pay by the pound for steel...

John

Up In Smoke

Nepas,
what is the paper bag?
if this is a secret i understand.
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Up In Smoke on June 24, 2009, 05:21:34 PM
Nepas,
what is the paper bag?

UIS

I have an Amish friend who is a master jerky, sausage, salami maker. He swears by the brown paper bag when the jerky is done. The bag takes away any surface oils or moisture. And ya know it does work. I keep brown paper bags at the ready when i do jerky.

The secret is out  :D  :D

nepas

Smokin Soon

Nepa there's a lot of stuff out there in square and tubular stock that will have much more strength than solid.

smokeitall

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on June 24, 2009, 06:45:39 PM
Quote from: Up In Smoke on June 24, 2009, 05:21:34 PM
Nepas,
what is the paper bag?

UIS

I have an Amish friend who is a master jerky, sausage, salami maker. He swears by the brown paper bag when the jerky is done. The bag takes away any surface oils or moisture. And ya know it does work. I keep brown paper bags at the ready when i do jerky.

The secret is out  :D  :D

nepas

You let that secret out a long time ago.  ;D ;D

I always use a paper bag and it works great, of course learned from the master.

OU812

I have always used the paper bag to store my jerky in also.

I have some in the fridge in a bag right now.   ;D

Blue Legend

Hi Nepa, I have made a bit of Jerky here in NZ but never thought to add a little JD or Jim Beam. How much do you put in??

Cheers
Richard