• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Does the cooler make a difference?

Started by jha1223, May 31, 2009, 04:05:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jha1223

I didn't have a cooler until this last weekend for transporting three briskets across town.  I didn't know squat about coolers or if it even mattered what it was.  I ended up with a Coleman Extreme.   It is supposed to keep ice for 5 days so I figured it would be good.  As I mentioned in my other post, the last brisket was still piping hot almost 10 hours later. 

What do you use?
There is such a thing as BBQ in Nebraska!

Wildcat

On the rare occassions that I need to FTC due to dinner being much later, I use either the cooler or the microwave.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Smokin Soon

A good quality cooler makes a huge difference. Especially with large pieces of meat like pork butt. It allows you to plan your cook  without the stress of "will it be done on time?" I have traveled with a cooler of pork butts and ribs for 5 to six hours and still had hot meat. Ribs just sauce and crisp up a bit on the grill, pull the pork and you are the hero! I have used Coleman Coolers for many years and have always been my choice. FTC and a good quality cooler, you are good to go!  ;D

Caneyscud

I don't have the Coleman, but I do have the Igloo Maxold 5 day unit.  That thing will hold your meat hot a long time especially with a big load - the thing is a heat well!  Recently did a big brisket, that could have take 23 hours, but only took 17.  No sweat, just laid it in the cooler, and 5 hours later was still plenty warm.  As Smokin Soon said - no stress!!
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

NePaSmoKer

Have to agree here. A cooler is great but if you dont have one and are in a pinch your microwave works well too  ;D

nepas

FLBentRider

I concur - any cooler, but the max cold / five day coolers are great for loooong FTC's of 6 hours or more.

I did 4 butts 7 hours and I still had to let them sit on the board for 15 minutes unwrapper before I could pull them.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

OU812

What.
I thought everyone had at least 2 coolers.
One for the beverage's and one for the meat.   ;D

IKnowWood

I got several coolers.  One extra large for the drinks at the beach, one for the drinks in the RV & double duty Butcher purchase transport, one in the Garage for FTC, one at work for the drinks at work parties, one for picnic'n at the beach, and two extra in the shed barely used.

So does a cooler make a difference.  Sure, depending on the application.
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes

IKnowWood

Also forgot to mention the cooler-tron that rides on the truck on long drives with extra sodas & water for the trip.
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes