Hi My name is Mike

Started by jwu2, June 01, 2009, 01:12:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwu2

I have been smoking peppers for years (anything hot mixing them with some I have dehydrated and some dried onion and dried garlic then grinding them up in my wife's blender and putting the end result in shakers. So far I have been doing carefully this in a charcoal smoker but this year I have almost 100 plants so I'm gonna have to find a better way. I'm buying another dehydrator but I need a smoker that will work for peppers instead of meat. I have about 25 varieties of peppers ranging from Jalapenos all the way to Bhut Jolokias. Any info on the smokers would be helpful. In the past I simply washed the peppers then thrust a knief thru them so they would dry and smoked them trying to keep the heat choked down less than 200 degrees and rotating the pans to help them dry evenly. I'm either going to have to have something built or get one of these Bradley smokers...any advice?
jwu2 is online now Report Post      Edit/Delete Message

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum Mike / jwu2!

I have not done peppers, but there are some here that have, Pensrock comes to mind first.

A trick you can use with small product (like peppers) is to invert one rack over another, thereby doubling the rack (and product) capacity of the smoker.

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Caneyscud

Hello, my name is Mike II.

Welcome jwu2,  this is a great forum with a lot of nice people with lots of experience.  Hope you enjoy it.  I've never smoked peppers, but looking at your temp. requirement, I don't know why a Bradley couldn't fill the bill.  200 deg +/- with peppers will be a breeze- definitely lots easier than the charcoal smoker.  If need exactly 200 then maybe a PID would be needed also.  To keep from cooking them, I would think 200 deg would be too high, and the Bradley is good at cold smoking also.  How low you can go is dependent on ambient temperature at the time of the smoke, or you can use a few tricks. 
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

JimmyDreams

Welcome, JWU2!

My partner was asking about smoking peppers just this morning. So, you need to get up to speed on smoking peppers in a BS, and then tell me how to do it!  :D

JimmyD
Oceanside, Ca.

Mr Walleye

Hi Mike... My name is Mike III   :D

Geez... us Mikes need a seperate forum!  ::)

Anyway, here is a post by Pensrock with some pictures on smoking peppers.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=8045.0

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

KyNola

Hi Mike, my name is not Mike IV!  :D

Welcome to the forum.  Our learned friend on this forum for smoking/drying peppers is Pensrock.  Eventually he will come around but right now he is focusing on this hockey team called the Penguins or something like that.  :D

Lots of really nice folks here who will be more than happy to help you out.

KyNola

Caribou

Welcome to the forum Mike!
Carolyn

sodak

Mike check...1, 2, 3.

Welcome to the forum.  This is a great place!

RammerJammer

Welcome aboard Mike - can't help you with the peppers but I bet a pound of peppers someone here can. Great guys - wealth of knowledge.

Happy somkin'
Aren't the four basic food groups beef, beer, bacon, and baked potatoes?