smoked peppers

Started by pensrock, September 27, 2008, 01:44:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pensrock

Well its that time of year again. Picked all my hot peppers and am getting ready to do some smoking.
Top rack is Hot Wax.
Next rack is Habeneros.
Bottom two racks are ripe red Jalapenos.
All will be smoked for three hours using hickory.

This is the first load of three.

The habs and penos will be smoked, dried and ground into powders.
The wax peppers will be used for pizza, pasta or steak sandwiches.

westexasmoker

Hey pens, after your smoke when you dry your peppers do you throw them into a dehydrator or what?

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

pensrock

QuoteHey pens, after your smoke when you dry your peppers do you throw them into a dehydrator or what?

Yes, into the dehydrator then ground using a spice grinder.

I also have some Naga peppers that I will dry and grind. This is the first time I have grown nagas so I will not be smoking any this year. I can say one thing..... the nagas are very.. very... very... HOT!!!!! Its a different kind of burn than a regular hot pepper, it doesn't want to go away, I would say it takes about 20-30 minutes of burn before it starts to calm down.  :'(
I'm not as brave or stupid depending on how you look at it, as those on YouTube eating whole nagas. I only ate a slice of one, about 3/8". Beleive me that was plenty.

La Quinta

WOW...very impressive Pens...looks great!!  :)

FLBentRider

Looks good Pensrock! My son puts (too much) hot sauce on just about everything. I might have to get him a naga just to show him what HOT is about!
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

3rensho

Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

firemedic245

Hey pens,

I have OBS and I noticed in your pic that your smoker has bricks in the bottom.  Is that smomething that you added or did that come with your smoker?

Smoking Duck

Welcome, medic.  They are added in and help with heat loss recovery when you open your smoker up.  Although, it looks like my Penguin friend has plenty of heat in there as is  ;D

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

pensrock

firemedic245
  The duck has answered the question well. They are in there to asorb heat when the smoker gets preheated. Then when you open the door to put the meat in it will recover faster because the bricks lose heat much slower than the metal inside of the tower.

QuoteAlthough, it looks like my Penguin friend has plenty of heat in there as is  ;D

Actually SD I have other peppers much hotter than the habs in there.  ;D Beleive me, they are HOT!!!  :P
Nice to see you posting again, I know times are tough but we did miss you here.  :)

Smoking Duck

Thank you Pens.  Times are tough, but they're tough for everyone....some just a little more than others.  Just a quick question about grinding the peppers:

Do you have to use a spice mill or will a food processor work?  I have some peppers and would like to try it but no spice mill.

Thanks!

How bout them Stillers?  They scared me against SD on Sunday.  I was sweating like you gnawing on a Haga  ;D

pensrock

The Stillers are really hurting. Too many injured players. But they are hanging in there. I was flipping out watching the game Sunday.

A spice mill works well because I like the hottest peppers to be fine ground into a powder. I used to use a processor to make pepper flakes. So a processor will work to make pepper flakes but not so well to get a fine powder. I say go for it!

beefmann

just  close the door and add bisquets on the peppers .. there  hot enough to ignite the wood  :D :D :D :D

westexasmoker

Quote from: beefmann on November 19, 2008, 05:01:08 PM
just  close the door and add bisquets on the peppers .. there  hot enough to ignite the wood  :D :D :D :D

If its mesquite!!   :D  :D  ;D

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

La Quinta

Smoking Duck

Hey Pens,

I noticed the seeds were still in the peppers.  When you grind them up after dehydrating, do you grind the seeds along with the peppers or do you just leave the seeds in while smoking to throw more heat into the peppers?

Thanks!

SD