• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Plug and play PID

Started by Deflated, June 07, 2009, 11:55:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deflated

I've been reading some post on here about the advantages of having a PID hooked to the Bradley. I was wondering how many of you have the plug and play PID they have for sale on the Auber website?  Opinions, comments, complaints wanted. 
I was also wondering if a PID is really of much use if I finish most everything in the oven.  I can see having the PID if you were going to smoke/cook from start to finish in the Bradley, but I've never done that and dont know if I ever will.  I use it to smoke and then pull the (ribs, butt, brisket, ect.) out and place it in the oven.  Are there other reasons for using a PID?

Matt

lumpy

I have a PID and it took me almost 1 year of smoking before I purchased it. I do not use it all the time. When I do sausage or salmon, that's when its plugged in. It makes me feel safe when doing the finicky meats in the smoker needing different times and temperatures.

Not all use the PID. There are some out there that do sausage without a PID. Again its personal preference.

Last week Smoked a pork sausage (21mm) and used the PID. It took around 9 hours in the smoker and 5 different temperature settings.

I know what you mean about the butt and brisket. I do not use the PID for these. The Bradley is used only for smoking then I toss them in foil pans, boat the meat and finish in the oven.

Lumpy

kaz

As a result of this site I bought the PID the same day as my OBS.
What a great combination!!!!!! Dead-on accuracy!!!
I also bought the Maverick ET73 Thermometer ........ which I like but I could have skipped it in hindsight.
I expect to better appreciate it's value as I venture further into new dishes.
Cheers!!!
KAZ

Deflated

Thanks for confirming what I had suspected.  Now I can spend that money on something else.

Superporky

Just got my bradley for Christmas and Im still learning.  What is a PID?

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Superporky on June 10, 2009, 04:58:57 PM
Just got my bradley for Christmas and Im still learning.  What is a PID?

Here is what a PID is. I have the programmable one. http://auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8&products_id=72

Get the PID
ET is junk
Get a Thermapen

nepas

lumpy

You might have to wait till next christmas to get the reat of the goodies when you see the price ;D

Lumpy

Superporky

Thanks for the info I will definately have to look into one of those.

Up In Smoke

I use the OBS with a programmable PID and have been very happy with it.
i do use the maverick..it gets me close then i use the thermapen for finishing temps.
this reduces the amount of door openings during the cook.
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Smokin Soon

Et-73 is a good basic tool, but when precise temp is needed the thermapen rules. I first said "no way" I did eventually see a need for it and now use it on everything I cook.

NePaSmoKer

I went through 3 ET's and finally said nuff.

nepas