• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Temp peaks at 130 degrees

Started by oscarbanks, June 07, 2009, 03:31:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oscarbanks

Hi, My name is Oscar and I'm a newbie.

I have owned my digital smoker for over a year and have used it many times.  Today for some reason, the internal temp won't go above 120-130 degrees.  I cleaned the smoker today with wet towels and a solvent.  Wondering if maybe I shorted something out?  Unplugged something by mistake?

O

Mr Walleye

Hi Oscar and welcome to the forum.

First I would check all the cords and make sure they are seated all the way in. Also check the fuse in the generator.

To narrow it down a bit you can take the cord that goes between the generator and your wall outlet, and plug it into the back of the tower, then directly into the wall. This will tell you if there is a problem with your main heating element or the high temp sensor.

Did you take the generator apart?

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

oscarbanks

I honestly haven't done anything except scratch my head...and say bad words.

Unfortunately, I discovered my problem after putting a 9lb. boneless prime rib on.  I at least smoked it for a couple of hours before sticking it in the oven.  Just not the same.......   :'(

oscarbanks

Is it possible that only "half" of the heating element is working???

Mr Walleye

Oscar

Is the element turning red?

If you put your hand "near" it can you feel heat?

The element will not only half work. It will either completely work or not at all.

Did you try plugging it in directly? And what were the results.

Also did you check the fuse?

Mike

oscarbanks

Could the smoker plate get hot enough to heat the temp to 120 degrees?  If so, then the heating element isnt working at all. Time to check the fuse!

Mr Walleye

Oscar

Your exactly correct. Infact, depending on the load the generator alone can even get the temp up to 150 degrees.

Mike

Gizmo

Check your power cord going into the box.  Unplug and re-plug several times to get a good connection.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

jrobel

Good Day,

I am having the same problem as Oscar and I am an even newer user. This is only the 3rd time I've used it. The first was a rather cold day adn it had a lot of problems getting to the 150 degree mark. The second time it was okay. Today it wont go above 144 degrees.
To show you what a novice I really am, how can you tell if teh fuse is bad? 

Gizmo

Welcome jrobel,
Do you have the original or a digital?
The digital has a standard fuse holder on the back of the smoke generator.  Not sure of the original.
I would recheck your power cord between the generator and oven unit.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Habanero Smoker

The original has the same type of fuse install. Look behind the generator you will see a knob, it may say fuse on it. Push the knob in, turn and release. The fuse will be forced out a bit by a spring. Look at the metal strip inside the fuse it should not have any breaks in it; if it does it is blown. Or some times the glass with have soot, which indicated the fuse is blown.

And welcome to the forum.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Bradley (Head Office)

Quote from: jrobel on June 14, 2009, 10:03:16 AM
Good Day,

I am having the same problem as Oscar and I am an even newer user. This is only the 3rd time I've used it. The first was a rather cold day adn it had a lot of problems getting to the 150 degree mark. The second time it was okay. Today it wont go above 144 degrees.
To show you what a novice I really am, how can you tell if teh fuse is bad? 

Hi jrobel

I do not think you have a problem with the fuse (if it was blown you would have no power)

As Gizmo has stated double check the short power cord that goes between the generator and the back of the tower make sure it is pushed in all the way.

Brian

oscarbanks

Ok....it's been a hectic week and just got a chance to try the suggestions. Fuse is good...no problem there.

I plugged the power source directly to the back of the smoker and the element still didn't get hot.

Any other suggestions???? ??? ??? ???

Mr Walleye

Oscar

It will either be the element or the high temp cut off sensor. If the unit is still under warranty give Brian at Bradley a call and they will fix ya up.

If you are handy with an ohm meter you could test the heating element for continuity. The heating element is not that difficult to remove.

Hopefully Brian from Bradley will be along and provide some thoughts on testing to figure out which one is the problem.

Mike

Bradley (Head Office)

Hi Oscar

There is a fuse in the back of the tower you need to check it for continuinty

Looks like this

Or you could have a burnt out heat element

Brian