• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

My first sausages - not pretty, but great tasting

Started by Caneyscud, June 09, 2009, 10:51:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caneyscud

After a couple of months of off and on collecting of equipment, I finally got all I needed (wanted) so I could make my first sausage.  I knew it was to be a Texas Spicy Link.  I found the recipe in Kirk's Championship Barbecue Book - supposedly from my beloved, but now gone Krause's in New Braunfels.  Got a Demi grinder and a LEM 5# stuffer - the two worked like champs.  Here are the pics.  I recognize they aren't pretty and perfect, but dang it, they sure tasted good.  I'll get a lot of practice, so they'll get better.  Know how I know they were good, my wife and daughter both said that it was the best sausage they had ever tasted!  Looking through the 100's of recipes I have to see which one is next.  This is addicting - something primal - restores the caveman in me!! ;D

First meat ground in the new grinder beef chuck

Before going into the smoker again not pretty

After 5 hours of being kissed by mesquite.
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

NePaSmoKer

Looks ok to me  ;D

Welcome to the sausage club, Now repeat after me the caveman sausage chant. GUNGA ALUNGA again GUNGA ALUNGA  :D  :D ;D

nepas

Caneyscud

Gunga alunga,  Gunga Alunga, GUNGA ALUNGA - yeah I FEEL THE POWER ripping through the sinews and tendons of my soul,  I am no longer a mouse squeek, I am CAVEMAN SAUSAGE MAKER!!!!!!  or for you more academic pantywaists Producteur de Saucisse de Troglodyte.  Yeah, that's me - your friendly neighborhood Troglodyte!!!!!  Better than being one of them thick-headed Neanderthals!
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Caneyscud on June 09, 2009, 11:39:40 AM
Gunga alunga,  Gunga Alunga, GUNGA ALUNGA - yeah I FEEL THE POWER ripping through the sinews and tendons of my soul,  I am no longer a mouse squeek, I am CAVEMAN SAUSAGE MAKER!!!!!!  or for you more academic pantywaists Producteur de Saucisse de Troglodyte.  Yeah, that's me - your friendly neighborhood Troglodyte!!!!!  Better than being one of them thick-headed Neanderthals!

Or a smurf  :D

nepas

Mr Walleye

Congrats Caney!  8)

There's no stoping ya now!  :D

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Smokin Soon

Looks pretty tasty to me Caney! My first go at stuffing sausages was a lot of cursing and blown casings . Gets much easier from there. Just when I think I have it mastered, here comes Nepa with his sausage pics and I bow down my head in shame. It sure is fun though, and very rewarding once you get your tastes dialed in.

NePaSmoKer

Caney

I have the same grinder. Couldnt pass it up at the Homepeepot (homedepot) for $30 works pretty good too.

nepas

westexasmoker

Looks good to me Caney!  Ahhhh...the magical power of mesquite!  ;D

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

deb415611

Smokin Soon

I gotta wait until the wife goes to work before I do my "GUNGA ALUNGA " chant. The dogs might give me a strange look but they will get over it!  ;D

kaz

OK guys ........... you've lead me astray so far ......... (OBS, PID, ET-73) ...... PLEASE educate me on making my own sausage ........... I love sausage ........ what do I need?
KAZ

Up In Smoke

Quote from: kaz on June 09, 2009, 03:59:47 PM
OK guys ........... you've lead me astray so far ......... (OBS, PID, ET-73) ...... PLEASE educate me on making my own sausage ........... I love sausage ........ what do I need?
UUUUHHHHHHHH OOOHHHHHHH!
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: kaz on June 09, 2009, 03:59:47 PM
OK guys ........... you've lead me astray so far ......... (OBS, PID, ET-73 THERMAPEN) ...... PLEASE educate me on making my own sausage ........... I love sausage ........ what do I need?

Need.

stuffer
grinder
casings, collagen, natural hog or sheep
seasonings
cure #1 and #2
butcher or cooking twine
hog ring pliers with rings
metal or wooden smokesticks for hanging sausage (opt)
soy protein, dextrose, corn syrup solids, ECA, bactoferm (opt), buttermilk powder, non fat dry milk, sucrose and all sorts of godies that you can think of  ;D

nepas

Roadking

Looks good to me. If you pop a casing who cares. The casing is only there to hold the material in place until you either smoke it, freeze it or cook and eat it. Me and the wife don't enter a fashion show with ours and the kids have never complained that the links didn't look perfect.
Just love eatin nasty look'n sausage!!!! Yum Yum!

seemore

GOOD JOB caney ............
just got grizzy stuffer today may try turkey sausage sat sun ???
seemore