Finally, Finally Got My New Smoker!!

Started by Margareeman, June 09, 2009, 05:12:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Margareeman

Ok folks, i am looking at smoking 4 briskets at a time in the DBS. They will be about 8 pounds each. How long am i looking at in the smoker here? From what I am seeing here I am guessing about 15 hours, maybe more. This is having the brisket at room temp, the DBS preheated at 250. Thanks for all the info.

westexasmoker

Are you planning on doing the entire smoke/cook in the DBS?  I'd say for sure at least 15 hours!  Your recovery time with that much of a load will take quite awhile, you might want to consider moving your briskets to the house oven after your smoke.

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

Margareeman

Thanks C, I was planning on doing the entire cook in the DBS. Maybe not a good idea? Sometimes I can be a little stubborn, I figure that's what I bought it for then it should be used to cook it all the way, maybe i should put away my stubbornness for this one eh?? Maybe only put three at a time?? Thanks again for all the great advise/info.

mikecorn.1

Looks great, i am still debating on wether to get the obs or the dbs and if i really need a pid to go with it. maybe one of the senior memebers reading this will advise me with their great knowledge. by the way, where the you get the dbs for 100 bucks off.
Mike

Margareeman

Hey, i got it at Canadian Tire, couldn't beat the price. I am doing some chicken breasts tonight I will add pics and let you know how they turn out.

Gizmo

Quote from: mikecorn.1 on June 13, 2009, 11:15:58 AM
Looks great, i am still debating on wether to get the obs or the dbs and if i really need a pid to go with it. maybe one of the senior members reading this will advise me with their great knowledge. by the way, where the you get the dbs for 100 bucks off.

Mikecorn,
The answer to your question lies in what you plan to do with the smoker.  If you plan to do a lot of serious sausage smoking and need super tight temp control, go with the OBS and a PID or other type of temp controller.  If you are going to do primarily cold smoking, or hot smoking of brisket, pork butt, ribs, etc. then get the Digital.  Setting the temperature on the Digital is easier than setting it with a slider.  You will have to deal with the 9 hour oven timer limit where you will have to reset.  The other nice thing about the digital is you can tell how much longer your bisquette will be on the burner before the next cycle, and if you determine you need it there a little longer, you can reset the timer to start the 20 minute count down again.  I some times let the first bisquette burn for 5 minutes, then reset the timer, just to make sure it burns through.  Many other potential variables as well, but actually just get either one and you will adapt to what ever you need as you find your tastes and preferences.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Margareeman

I agree, the only reason I got the DBS was the price, any BS would be fine. I am sure I can figure out the temp swings as time goes by, not a huge problem. Matter of fact I just finished given the baby a bath and putting her to bed after she spit out some of these goodies. I used a maverick  redi-check model ET-808C to keep an eye on the tower temp and a maverick model ET-84D for the meat temp, not sure if these models are any good. I got them at Canadian tire on sale and they seemed to work great. There were some temp swing between 5 and 20 degrees but eventual they matched up. And I worked through it, had a few beers and it was quite fun. Here is the end result and the only thing I can say is "Oh My God" where has the BS been all my life, outstanding!!

Smokin Soon

Margaree, you got it goin on now. Looks like a great first cook! Smoker is getting some color to it and your cook liiks great!

Tenpoint5

Looks great!!! Save yourself some washing and pull the racks your not using. I hate washing them when I don't have too!!
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

KyNola

Spot on!  When I saw those racks in there empty I thought 2 things, there was a lot of room in there for more meat and you're gonna have to wash those! :D

Margareeman,
The food looks great and your smoker is beginning to get some color on the inside.  The flavor will only get better as the box gets darker and darker.  Looking good!

KyNola