Hello. New Smoker here***1st smoked meat attempt++

Started by kataquaz, June 12, 2009, 01:30:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kataquaz

Going to break in my Bradley this weekend. I don't know how to use it properly yet.

Specifically I intend on smoking BRISKET about 20kilos. How much time should I smoke it for and at what temperature?

I wonder if there is a discussion topic on temperature and timing of foods. As well as which foods to use cold smoke for.

Thanks!

Well happy smoking everyone!  Cool
[/color]
-K-

Habanero Smoker

There are too many variables that can influence the length of time it takes. As for temperatures, I put together the following chart.

When Is Meat Done?

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

kataquaz

Hey there Habanero (Member Extraordinaire) :D

Thanks very much for the info. Wow I didn't expect to get a hit on my post so fast.

I was browsing and learning my way around the forum. I stumbled upon topics similar to my question.

Being new to things (like smoking) is a bit of a bummer, feels like stumbling around in the dark.
Tips and pointers are always welcome! :)

-K-

Caneyscud

Quote from: kataquaz on June 12, 2009, 03:12:49 AM
Hey there Habanero (Member Extraordinaire) :D

Thanks very much for the info. Wow I didn't expect to get a hit on my post so fast.

I was browsing and learning my way around the forum. I stumbled upon topics similar to my question.

Being new to things (like smoking) is a bit of a bummer, feels like stumbling around in the dark.
Tips and pointers are always welcome! :)

20 Kilo brisket = one big ginormous cow! 

Here is a good tutorial about brisket by the resident brisket guru (westexasmoker) that is a great start and is one of many ways to do brisket. 
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=7825.0

Generally speaking at a cabinet temperature of 225 deg F, a brisket will take 1 hour to 1 1/2 hour per pound to get done.  Usually closer to 1 1/2 hour per pound. (about 3 hours per kilo).   This is a rule of thumb and as stated by Habs, many variables influence this timing from the meat to opening the door and peeking.  If you are trying to cook to a temperature - for a slicing brisket 185 to 190 deg F.  For a fall apart brisket - more like 195 to 205 deg F.   
These temperatures are good for whole briskets, that have lots of fat to help keep moist.
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

OU812

As far as smoke time you will only need about 4 hr of smoke the rest of the time is cook time.
The cook time will vary each time you do something even if its the same thing each time.
Most of the time 220 F is a good smoke temp for brisket and a Internal temp of 180 F to slice and 200 F to pull.
There will be a stall time that hapens between 150 to 165 F when the magic happens it will stay there for quite anywhere from 2 to 4 hr or even longer so just WAIT.
It will take anywhere form 12 to 20 hr to finish so go by temp and not time.
Hope this made sense.

OU812

I almost forgot the digital smoker only has 9hr 40min of cook time so you have to reset the time b4 it runs out when you are doing a long smoke that way the cabnet temp dont drop.

Gizmo

Welcome kataquaz.
The others have you covered with a lot of good info.  If you need anything else just ask.  Don't be a stranger and keep us up to date with what you're smokin and how it's going.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Tenpoint5

And don't forget the pictures.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

NePaSmoKer

Ditto what caney says.

And welcome.

nepas

kataquaz

SUCCESS ! first attempt at smoked meat was pretty good.

i will post details soon!!

here's a pic for now

-K-

deb415611

Margareeman

La Quinta

Holy cow...kataquaz....dang dude you got the hang of it right away!!! Good for you....those pics made my mouth water and I don't eat a whole lot of beef.... WOW.... ;D

DaBeef2112

Wow that looks awesome! I've got to stop looking in the forums before I eat!

Smokin Soon

Now that's a beauty, and it's looking like pastrami and is making me quite hungry! Did you use a cure on this cook?