• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Smoked all-beef salami did not set up--it's mushy/pasty

Started by kawika, June 12, 2009, 10:56:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kawika

So I just made up 10 pounds of Kosher Style 100% all beef salami.  The recipe didn't call for this but I added 1 cup of soy protein concentrate and ice and water, 3 cups total.  I smoked as per the recipe and brought the internal temp up to 152 degrees F. (It took 12 hours!)  I then cold rinsed the sausage till they came down to 110 F.  It was very late at night and I didn't have time to hang the sausages to dry, or bloom, but the book didn't say how long anyway so I dried them off with a towel and put in the refrigerator overnight.  Got up excited this morning, sliced a piece off and it looks and tastes great but it basically turns to paste when you start chewing it.  Very unappealing.  Is there any way I can revive this sausage?  The flavor is great but the texture will make it inedible.  Can I throw it into the oven, say at 180F for a few hours to set it up?  Can I simmer it in water?  Please help.  Luckily I only did 10 pounds so if I have to toss it, oh well. (My dog likes it but I'm not sure how much a little dog can eat per day.  Wouldn't want Gizmo to get sick!  Please, any suggestions.
Mahalo,  Kawika Olsten

NePaSmoKer

Soy should have been 2.40oz and 1 cup of cold ice water.

As for putting it in the oven or a hot water simmer i dont think this will help but you can try.

nepas

Habanero Smoker

If you are not weighing and measuring, then for 10 pounds you need 2 cups of soy protein concentrate. When measuring by volume spoon the soy into the cup; don't pack it. It also seems like a lot of water.

What cut of meat did you use, and did you add any additional beef fat?

As far as salvaging it, you could attempt to slice and fry it. I don't know if any other ways will improve the texture.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Gizmo

Quote from: kawika on June 12, 2009, 10:56:36 AM
My dog likes it but I'm not sure how much a little dog can eat per day.  Wouldn't want Gizmo to get sick!  Please, any suggestions.
Mahalo,  Kawika Olsten
You are right, I wouldn't want to get sick.   ;D

I would agree with NePa and don't think you can salvage it texture wise.  Since you have 10 lbs of it, I would try a sample but be careful that your run at 180 deg doesn't fat out and make it worse.  Keep an eye on the internal temp.

I like Habs idea of frying it and see if the flavor hangs in there and makes the texture desirable.

Let us know how you make out with it.   
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

NePaSmoKer

kawika

I used instacure #1.  I did not add any fat.  The recipe called for lean beef.  Maybe I just added too much water and the lack of fat?  I just threw out 10 pounds of what would have been delicious stuff.  I guess I will stick with my old faithful summer sausage recipe from now on.

Habanero Smoker

The lack of fat or fat rendering out (which is not the case here), that generally what makes a sausage have that mealy/grainy texture. Concentrated soy protien, powdered dry milk besides acting as binders helps the sausage maintain their moisture (texture); but I believe that too much water will interfer with the binding process.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

NePaSmoKer

I just looked at a few of my salami recipes. None call for soy or powdered milk for binding. Do use fat as the binder in salami. When i make salami i poke a small hole in the bottom of the casing right by the crimp ring. Use one of them corn cobb holder thingys to poke.

This was way too much binder, water has no affect on the sausages, just takes longer to do, hence sausage prickers? Also what temp did you take the salami to. Heat temp, not IT of the salami

nepas

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on June 13, 2009, 03:41:42 AM
I just looked at a few of my salami recipes. None call for soy or powdered milk for binding. Do use fat as the binder in salami. When i make salami i poke a small hole in the bottom of the casing right by the crimp ring. Use one of them corn cobb holder thingys to poke.

This was way too much binder, water has no affect on the sausages, just takes longer to do, hence sausage prickers? Also what temp did you take the salami to. Heat temp, not IT of the salami

nepas

I agree, most don't use soy or milk. But if your goal is to make it lean, then they should work, if used in the proper proportion, along with the correct amount of liquid. I just want to mention that too much soy or powder milk will alter the taste of your salami or other sausage you use it in.

I
         don't
                   inhale.