• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

steaming pastrami in a electric steamer

Started by Toker, June 13, 2009, 06:09:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toker

Hi there, I'm trying to do a beef pastrami this time and i was wondering if i could steaming it in a electric steamer instead of the oven method like the recipe is asking? It would be easier to do for me.

Right now, its in is cure i started yesterday night using Habs recipe. Last week, i made a smoked meat without cure it turned out GREAT! but only half of the the brisket, cause i did not separated the flat from the point. But this time, i did it using the great forum members advices. Thanks to all of you.

Habanero Smoker

It you have a steamer that will hold your pastrami, that is an easier way to go.

My steamer is about 10 years old, small, and has a dial timer that only goes up to about 1 hours.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Toker

mine can handle easily a 4 pounds of pastrami and my timer is 45 minutes but i can add time and water if i need before timer end. BTW i was thinking about using my slow cooker crock pot, it has a probe mode and i found a rack that would fit inside. Would it be a better choice?

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: toker on June 14, 2009, 02:54:00 AM
mine can handle easily a 4 pounds of pastrami and my timer is 45 minutes but i can add time and water if i need before timer end. BTW i was thinking about using my slow cooker crock pot, it has a probe mode and i found a rack that would fit inside. Would it be a better choice?

I don't know about the crock pot. I don't have much luck with crock pots unless I follow a recipe to the "T", or if I am just using it to reheat and to keep something warm. You can give it a try, but I would think the steamer is the better choice of the two.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Toker

OK I'll go with the steamer.  How long should it takes? Do you know? Doesn't matter, I'll steam it until 165 Thx.

Habanero Smoker

I really haven't time it properly, because I generally get preoccupied. I take it out when I hear the alarm go off; when it get to an internal temperature of 160°F. The first time I steamed, I screwed up and meat came up to about 180°F. It still had a good texture, and held together when sliced.

I
         don't
                   inhale.