• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Got a new DBS...happy so far

Started by dilly, June 14, 2009, 04:16:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dilly

I picked up a DBS on sale a couple days ago and seasoned it up as per the instructions.  I ran a batch of ribs through it today and kept an eye on the display to see what would happen.  I know there are a few post about temp fluctuation but I gotta say that mine seemed pretty steady and the temps were in and around where I wanted them.  Granted, I wasn't running a remote thermometer though.  I planned on getting a maverick ET-73 but now I am not so sure.  How many of you guys just trust the display?  Is the Maverick a must have?  I know it would certainly be more convenient!
My meat goes from field to table by my own hands.

Gizmo

The lighter the load, the less fluctuation you will see.  I typically do not use a remote temp probe for Ribs.  I have done enough to know about where the smoker temp is when doing 3 racks of ribs or less.  I start with a set temp of 320 deg and pre-heat to a gen readout temp of 260 then load.  After loading and once the box climbs back up to over 200, I decrease the set temp to 260 deg until the box gets to 210, then continue adjusting down the temp to keep it at 210 to 220 while putting 3 to 4 hours of smoke on.  After the smoke, the box has pretty much stabilized at 210 with a set temp of 210 to 220.  After the smoke, I pull the ribs and wrap them in foil with a little liquid.  Go for another 2 hours (total of 6) and check to see if the meat is pulling back from the bone 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Caneyscud

Maverick is not a necessity, but I sure like the information it gives me.  Not that I don't trust the display, it just may not be displaying the temperature where the meat is - and that is what is important.  After quite a few smokes, you get to know the temp variances of your machine, and could probably not need it - but it sure is reassuring seeing that IT.  I seldom use the maverick with ribs, and almost never with a brisket.  A brisket is just gonna take a long time - no matter what, and I just use an instant read toward the last of the smoke.   

Bradleys with heavy loads of cool meat have the bigger temperature variance and has to do with sampling rates and the programming.  The longer the smoke, the less variance between IT and Cabinet Temp - so less variance.  Or with a light load the meat doesn't have enough mass to influence the Cab. Temp as much.
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

JimmyDreams

I did my first overnight smoke Friday night, smoking 2 4lb butts. I have a Maverick ET-73. Some people claim it has VERY short range, but mine seems just fine.

I used both probes as IT monitors, and put the remote on my nightstand. I tend to wake up about 3 times a night for whatever reason, and each time I woke up, I quickly checked the monitor to see the IT of the meat. The piece of mind that ability gave me was worth it's weight in gold. (I was bringing pulled pork to a BBQ/pool party, and if I screwed up the overnight cook, I'd have some serious explaining to do!  :o)

For the price, a Maverick is a nice addition to have, IMHO. It's smaller and more cheaply built than I had expected, but it works and allows for a little less guesswork, and a little more control.

YMMV.

Jim
JimmyD
Oceanside, Ca.

dilly

OK...I want one.  I looked around town and nobody has a dual probe.  Does anyone have a suggestion on where would be a good place to order one?  I am thinking internet...maybe Cabelas?

deb415611

Quote from: dilly on June 15, 2009, 05:47:08 PM
OK...I want one.  I looked around town and nobody has a dual probe.  Does anyone have a suggestion on where would be a good place to order one?  I am thinking internet...maybe Cabelas?

Bryan at Yard & Pool will get you hooked up  http://www.yardandpool.com/Thermometers-Probes-s/54.htm

OU812

If your thinking the internet I money would be at Yard And Pool.

If you have a Cabela's close by you might check that out, that's where I got mine. I Drive by Cabela's every day and my truck always wants to turn in but I have to tell him not today. ;D

dilly

Thanks everybody...this is an awesome forum!

canada

I wish there was a cabelas close.
I would let the truck turn everyday.