• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Just bought a new OBS

Started by CadillacKing3, June 15, 2009, 02:34:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CadillacKing3

Hello All!

So I just bought a new OBS on Amazon!

I also bought the 60 pack of assorted wood, 3 bubba pucks, smoke and spice cookbook, and a Maverick ET-7.

I have been grilling since I was 16 years old (now 26) and am tired of slow cooking ribs and other foods on the gas grill.

Hopefully, I will be smoking some ribs and chicken this weekend!

OU812

Welcome to the fun.

Looks like you have been doing your home work, you got everything you need but the meat.

deb415611

Welcome CK3,

Also check out the forum members recipe site - great recipes & faq section.   http://www.susanminor.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=180

Deb

Gizmo

When you read other books about putting smoke on the food for 8 hours or 24 hours, you need to remember that you will only need a max of 4 hours in the Bradley.  The Bradley smoke is very different than the stick burner smoke where food is under constant smoke.  If you look at the link Deb posted, you will see that the recipes call for only 1 to 4 hours of smoke for the most part.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

CadillacKing3

Thanks for the advice about the time to use smoke. I have tried to read as much as possible about the smoker and I read all the FAQs (which is where I learned about the Bubba Pucks and the probe for temp)

Any advice is gladly accepted!

Gizmo

Best advice to give you now is "Get Started and enjoy".   :)
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Smokin Soon

CadKing, your off to a proper start, reading before you cook. I'm sure you will enjoy your time here. Welcome!

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum CadillacKing3!
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

CadillacKing3

It arrives via fedex today. I am really glad I decided on a OBS. I like smoked flavor in my meat, but others in my family do not want it to overpower the food. Since Bradley's give a good flavor but do not kill the food with it. I think we will have a nice middle ground met.

Sunday will be my first run. I am going to be making ribs and I think some chicken in there. I will season the smoker on saturday and make sure everything is working first.

drano

CadillacKing3
Congrats on the OBS, and welcome!
Use the "special blend" pucks for seasoning-they are mystery wood, so burn them on seasoning.
Also, I'd recommend small smokes of one kind of meat and build up from there. 
I've only done one hole chicken, but it took longer than I thought, and ended up in the oven.  Chicken wings are pretty quick, and soo good.
Ribs and brisket are the hardest to master.  I'd recommend a pork butt first--230 deg smoker to 190 meat temp, and its awesome. 
I so spare ribs on occasion.  I don't use foil or anything--just leave them in the smoker to about 190 meat temp, and they are pull apart.
get smokin
drano

CadillacKing3

I have a professional chef helping me out the first time I cook the food. He is well trained in barbecue as well. I talked to him a bit tonight and we talked some strategy. I think we are going to smoke the chicken and then finish it on the grill and do the ribs all the way thru in the OBS.

OU812

It's always nice to have an pro at your side when get started and have a game plan b4 you start.

CadillacKing3

Had great success this weekend!

I did 3 racks of ribs with cherry wood for an hour and filled the water bowl with brown sugar and apple juice. I cooked the ribs for about 4 hours and then put them on the grill at the end to put sauce on them (this nice peach jalapeno sauce that I got of of smoke & spice) and the ribs were gone in a snap!

The best part was there was somebody at the party that doesn't eat pork, and even he had to try a rib!

OU812

Only 1 hr cherry?

How was the flavor?

3 hr of pecan works for me, but thats just me.

CadillacKing3

I only did one hour because I had some people voice strong objections to smoked flavor. I figure if I started out with a little smoke and then went with more the next time, they may not notice as much.  :P

With the rub and the sauce and everything, they tasted great. I think they could of had more smoke flavor, but next time I will try that.