• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Trial run with new OBS

Started by sonny red, June 17, 2009, 08:59:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sonny red

Got my OBS yesterday and got to try an initial small batch of Coho salmon we caught early Tuesday. Brined the fish overnight, and air dried in the morning. After setting up, got the fish smoking. I did get some fat blobs during the process, but I always used to get them, coming from many years using a charcoal smoker. I, along with my fishing buddies (who wait for my batches of salmon like vultures) like our fish cooked longer than most folks. We like it to be a Jerky style, still moist, but crispy on the edges. So I knew that after the last picture, I would just leave them in longer at 175 (about an hour and a half more) and it cooked off the fat, but didn't turn the fish into leather.
    The finished fish was absolutely fantastic, with about 1/4 the hassle of charcoal smokers. The four fillets lasted 15 minutes after it cooled...the vultures descended and picked the skins clean. I think I could try to start out even cooler for longer,  to alleviate the fat blobs,but in all honesty, It didn't detract from the result, and they were gone when I pulled the fish out.
   Thanks for this great forum, I got a lot of great tips here and Friday I will be doing a couple of turkey breasts for the weekend.
Jeff
The new set up

Salmon going in

About 1-1/2 hour before eatin time

Gizmo

Looks tasty sonny.
They got some fresh wild salmon in the store but it is $14.99/lb.  Will probably pick some up on Friday along with $6.99 /lb king crab legs and Filet Mignon.
Another store has Live Main for $6.99 /lb.  Will be a seafood fest this weekend.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

OU812

Looking good, ain't no fish better smoked than salmon. Been trying to find some fresh salmon around my parts but no luck. I did some a couple weeks ago,it tasted good but the texture wasn't what you get from fresh.

When I do salmon I start with a box temp of 130 F then slowly bump up the temp every hr or so to keep the burgers away.

NePaSmoKer

Looks good s r  ;D

Good set up and smoke.

nepas

drano

Sonny,

Wow, great looking smoke.  Gotta love pictures!  An OBS and Auber PID make a great combo. 
Glad it turned out good.  Now you really need to smoke a bunch more, because that smoker is a little too shinny inside ;D.
get smokin
drano