• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Sausage Making

Started by RAO, June 18, 2009, 06:54:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAO

I just bought a BOS a couple of months ago and have made some really good stuff.  I am thinking of trying to make some sausages but do not have a clue as to where to start.  I have read a few of the threads on here but was wondering if you can help me out with what I need to get started plus some simple recipes.

Thanks,

RAO

3rensho

Here's a site with a lot of recipes and information -

http://lpoli.50webs.com/Sausage%20recipes.htm

Tom
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

Tenpoint5

I tend to use the K.I.S.S. principle (Keep It Simple Stupid) myself. You need a grinder and a means to stuff. Whether it be the grinder itself, a vertical stuffer or even a Tablespoon. As for some simple recipes look around this section of the forum or over on the recipe site and find a recipe that suits your fancy and give it a whirl. I would go more into detail but am currently fighting with a massive self induced headache. It was a long night.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

lumpy

Go get a book from Rytek Kutras called "great sausage recipies and meat curing"
Its worth its weight in gold when doing sausage!

Lumpy

NePaSmoKer

Everyone has got you pointed in the right direction. Dont be afraid to ask if you need help.

nepas

Habanero Smoker

Here is a list of books most used by members. When you get to the site scroll down a little, you will see the Meat Curing & Sausage Making sections.

Referrence Books

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

drano

RAO
Glad you are diving into sausage making--you'll be amazed at the flavor.
I'll second the idea of buying the Rytek Kutras book.  Its worth every penny. 
For your first sausage, you may want to buy a kit.  High Mountain/Cabelas make all-inclusive kits w/ the seasoning mix and casings. 
http://www.friscospices.com/ has good spice mixes and very good casing prices.  I've used them exclusively for several years.  They are on the south edge of Omaha NE. 
After some experience, you may want to mix your own spices.
A good grinder and stuffer will make life easy.  For a few years I used a Kitchen Aid grinder on the wife's mixer.  Did the job for about $40.  Then I got a Cabelas 11 lb commercial stuffer.  Worth the money, and I like the 11 lb size.  But 5 lb stuffers are out there for about $100 from Grizzly Industrial Tools and Northern Tools.   Last fall I got a Cabelas 1/2 hp commercial grinder on sale.  Great machine. 
You'll enjoy summer sausage, brats, kielbasa, beef sticks, etc. 
good luck
drano

deb415611

carlc

I would suggest Brian Polcyn and Michael Ruhlman's book "Charcuterie".  It's very user friendly. I was clueless and it walks you through step by step and has some good warnings about temperature during stuffing and some ideas on smoking.  In fact they're the ones that turned me on to the BOS. They have tons of great recipes and give you ideas on smoking other whole meats.  Plus the one author has a website and is pretty good about getting back to people with specific questions.

http://blog.ruhlman.com/

You'll find you have a lot more friends once you start making sausage.  If you play your cards right, there's usually enough people that want to help next time and you can pull a Tom Sawyer and put them to work.  I have 3 volunteers for next time.  I plan on having a beer and supervising.

-Carlc
There are no two finer words in the English language than "encased meat".