• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Storing

Started by chabrown, June 20, 2009, 06:32:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chabrown

I just got my first OBS with a PID.

I want to start off by saying thank you to everyone who gave me advice and having a great forum here. Unfortunately, it has not stopped raining here in NJ to try it yet :(

I bought the all weather cover for my 4-shelf smoker. Is there any problem leaving it on my porch, with the cover on, even though it is raining? I detached the smoke generator and put it in a dry place. And, of course, I have the PID well stored. Just the smoke tower is outside and well covered.

Many thanks,
Charles

KyNola

My BDS has been outside on a covered porch with the cover on the BDS 24/7 for over 2 years with no adverse effects.  You should be fine.

KyNola

BTW, welcome to the forum!

mikecorn.1

I also had the same question. I just got my 4 rack digital. I was advised by some of the great folks in this forum that as long as it is covered, it will be ok, but if you have room elsewhere; then why not bring the electronics out of the elements. I leave mine outside under a covered patio and the smoke generator in my garage.
Mike

drano

chabrown
Congrats on the Bradley and welcome to the forum.
My OBS has been under the Bradley cover and under a covered porch since 2004 w/ no ill effects.
I put my Auber PID, boxes of pucks, Maverick thermo and other stuff inside the smoker, put the cover on, and walk away.  The cover has faded over the years, but no big deal.
For the digital like mikecorn.1 has, I'd suggest putting the generator in the garage if possible.  Or pull the puck tube off and wrap it more in a trash bag or something just to give it extra protection. 
Of course, the size/location of the covered porch is part of the equation also.  If its big, and the smoker is max distance from the edges, that reduces the chance of rain getting blown over to it.
get smokin
drano

Gizmo

My digital has been out side covered.  It is not under a porch but then San Diego weather is pretty mild year round.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/