• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Puck advancing

Started by Eo0014, June 22, 2009, 12:50:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eo0014

I have the original black BS.  Has anyone ever run into the problem whereby the piece that draws back allowing the pucks ro drop doesn't go fully back?  When this happens either the pucks don't drop or get jammed because only half the puck dropped.  When this happens I have to manually advance pucks.  I'm not sure if there's dirt or residue from the pucks that's causing this. 

Anyone know how to fix this problem?

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Eo0014 on June 22, 2009, 12:50:37 PM
I have the original black BS.  Has anyone ever run into the problem whereby the piece that draws back allowing the pucks ro drop doesn't go fully back?  When this happens either the pucks don't drop or get jammed because only half the puck dropped.  When this happens I have to manually advance pucks.  I'm not sure if there's dirt or residue from the pucks that's causing this. 

Is your puck tube pushed to far down?

nepas

OU812

When was the last time you cleaned your generator?

seagravedriver

I put a new motor on mine, and I placed it backwards.  It worked, but only halfway.  Doesn't sound like your problem, but I thought I would throw my .02 in.

Habanero Smoker

Check the tracks the shuttle glides on to make sure they are clear of debris.

If that doesn't resolve the problem you can try this tip.

Bisquettes Not Properly
Advancing

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Eo0014

Quote from: OU812 on June 22, 2009, 01:17:59 PM
When was the last time you cleaned your generator?

It's not to easy to clean down the hole, so I basically blow it out.  Whats the best way to clean it?

OU812

Take it apart and remove the cover that is on the runway,where the pusher moves back into and see if there is any build up back there.

When you take it apart turn it over to remove the screws around the outside, I think there is 6. The screws in the center hold the timer in place.

I try to clean mine about every third or forth smoke.

Eo0014

great advice ...thank you.

Taking the cover off won't affect the timer or anything else?

Habanero Smoker

No, it won't. It will open like a clam shell, and to completely take the cover off it is best to unhook the wires going to the switch and power indicator. Just make sure you mark how to reconnect them, better yet if you have a digital camera take a photo of it also. I use a bamboo skewer and alchol to help clean the edges of the track. When you reassemble make sure the wires are securely connected.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Bradley (Head Office)

Quote from: Eo0014 on June 22, 2009, 12:50:37 PM

Hi E
Did you hear a clicking noise when the shuttle did not go all the way back?
This could be a sign of a worn motor or stripped gear inside the motor.

Brian.

Basil

We must have gotten smokers from the same batch - I am having the exact same problem.  Just got the smoker, know nothing about smokers, but last night just put a boston butt in left it overnight and it turned out fantastic. So I was very pleased. Tonight decided we smoke some more items for the coming week, loaded it up and pucks will not advance.  Took all the pucks out and removed the sleeve so you can see what is happening - just as you describe the door only goes back part way.  Smoker made it all the way through 8 total pucks before quitting (that is how many we used last night).

Like the way the food turned out but thinking about just sending this thing back.  Idea was to be trouble free and found trouble 2nd night out on a brand new smoker.

Ed1978

I had the same exact issue.

Make sure that the feeding tube is pushed all the way down. If it's not pushed all the way down, even 1/4 inches off, the puck may not advance properly.
Try resetting the puck advance timer. You can do a search in this forum on how to reset puck advance timer.

If everything fails to fix the problem, call Bradley and ask for generator replacement assuming you're still covered under the 1 year warranty. Bradley does not ask you to return the broken generator.