Jerky Questions

Started by telman, June 24, 2009, 08:49:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

telman

Great and friendly forum!

I was wondering if you guys could help me to clarify few things. I have younger kids, I would like make sure there will be no food poisoning.

So far I smoked only batch (2LB) at 200F for 2 hours ( I know it is too much, that is what HM guide tells you). Anyhow it turned ok, I did not dry it too much, since it is easier for the little one to chew, anyway it was finished within 24 hours.

However smoker manual says I should be smoking at 140F, for 5-6 hours.

According FSIS temperature it should smoked at 165F 
http://www.fsis.usda.gov/FactSheets/Jerky_and_Food_Safety/index.asp

so I am seeing three conflicting information. To me 165 makes more sense. Any suggestions?

Also I do have some newbie information:

1.  So far I have been reading, it is ok not use curing salt on whole muscle jerky, but it should be used ground beef jerky? Again I want to make sure my kids do not get unwanted stuff in their food.
2.  Do you pre-heat before placing jerky into a smoker.
3. Also I would like to make some beef pepperoni, casing does not have to edible, however I was reading about Collagen casing. Any suggestion which casing I should be using. I would use natural casing for myself, but wife does not like them. I want to make sure everyone one enjoys home made pepperoni.

Thank you in advance.

Caneyscud

Telman, I just wanted to tell you welcome to the forum.  I don't know much about jerky except that I like to eat it, so I wlll let the experts (and there are a few) on jerky answer your question.  They'll be along sometime today.  I just wanted to welcome you and urge you to just jump in and join our little merry band of smokers!
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

telman

thanks for the warm welcome.

hoping to make another batch this weekend :)

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: telman on June 24, 2009, 08:49:54 AM
Great and friendly forum!

I was wondering if you guys could help me to clarify few things. I have younger kids, I would like make sure there will be no food poisoning.

So far I smoked only batch (2LB) at 200F for 2 hours ( I know it is too much, that is what HM guide tells you). Anyhow it turned ok, I did not dry it too much, since it is easier for the little one to chew, anyway it was finished within 24 hours.

However smoker manual says I should be smoking at 140F, for 5-6 hours.

According FSIS temperature it should smoked at 165F  
http://www.fsis.usda.gov/FactSheets/Jerky_and_Food_Safety/index.asp

so I am seeing three conflicting information. To me 165 makes more sense. Any suggestions?

Also I do have some newbie information:

1.  So far I have been reading, it is ok not use curing salt on whole muscle jerky, but it should be used ground beef jerky? Again I want to make sure my kids do not get unwanted stuff in their food.
2.  Do you pre-heat before placing jerky into a smoker.
3. Also I would like to make some beef pepperoni, casing does not have to edible, however I was reading about Collagen casing. Any suggestion which casing I should be using. I would use natural casing for myself, but wife does not like them. I want to make sure everyone one enjoys home made pepperoni.  

Thank you in advance.

Welcome to the forum telman

First off cure should be used in any kind of jerky your going to make when it goes into your smoker. Once you get the hang of jerky you can cut back on the cure. It sounds like jerky dont last long in your house  ;D

First off start your smoker at 150* you will be bumping the heat throughout the process. You will be bumping in 10* increments to the temp of 180*

You can tell when jerky is getting done when you can bend a peice without it snaping in half.
Pre heat your smoker to the 150* and the smoke gen too, then add the racks with the jerky.
Keep your vent full open with no water in the pan, but keep the pan there to catch the spent pucks.

As for pepperoni you can use any size casings from 17mm to 32mm. If you use collagen you can peel the casing away when the pepperoni is done. Pepperoni can take along time to make with holding temps around 70* and an RH of 60-75%

Dont pay too much to the HM directions.

nepas

telman

Thanks Nepas, Sounds good,  I will give it a try again.

Mr Walleye

Telman

NePas has you pointed in the right direction regarding jerky. I always use cure in mine, weather it's ground or whole muscle.

I just wanted to point out that you can make sausage without casings as well. The other day when I was stuffing 60 lbs of kielbasa I ran out of casings. I took about 5 lbs of sausage mixture and made it into 3 good sized logs. I wrapped them in Saran wrap and twisted the ends until they were round in shape and put them in the fridge over night. The next morning I took the Saran off them and put them on racks (using a high temp screen) and smoked them as normal. They really turned out fantastic.

It just might be worth a try for your wife.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

telman

Thanks Mike, I made pepperoni in the oven couple of times. Using similar method, taste was good but not shape :). I will consider using a wrap next time, thanks for the tip. 

smokeitall

I use collagen casings on my pepperoni, a couple of my kids peel it off, it doesn't bother me, I like the snap it gives the smaller sticks.  Just make sure you put your sausage in the smoker on low (I do around 135) until dry (or the smoke won't penetrate), then start the smoke rolling, and don't forget to preheat the smoke generator before advancing the first puck on there. 

I think Nepas has ya takin care of on the jerky issues.

Also, welcome aboard.

telman

Thanks, bought 32mm casing yesterday from BPS,  also bought meat from local supermarket.  I will be grinding and stuffing meat tonight,  and smoking on Saturday :)

Gizmo

I also purchased a little meat today.  12 lbs of ground and about 18 lbs of eye of round.  Gonna put the 80 L through the paces over the next few days.   ;D
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

telman

wow, that is a lot of meat.  4 LB pepperoni and 2LB jerky is ready! Pictures will follow. Can't wait for Saturday. Also bought hickory chips today. I used apple first time.

telman

pics

telman

Smoked jerky and pepperoni this Saturday. Jerky is finished by 10am this morning. Gave 3 sticks away, wife and I ate two :) About 100gr left in the fridge.

Btw what is best way to check if sausage is done, I used lean beef, it came out little dry to my liking, but still way better making it in the oven. I have to do a little reading, and figure what cuts I should be using for grinding.

Thanks for tips guys, jerky was properly dried this time vs cooked.

Gizmo

The best way is to use a Thermopen instant read.  They are truely an instant read (2-3 seconds, not the 10-20 of other instant reads) and have a needle like probe tip.  The thermometer is also calibrated and comes with a calibration certificate.  You will pay a little more for them, but well worth it.

Did you overheat the sausage and melt out the fat?
Possibly did not have enough fat mixed in?

They sure look great.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

telman

Thanks, Gizmo. I think I did not have enough fat. I guess it is time to invest on a  thermometer, I never had an internal temperature reader.  I will check if I can buy Thermopen from a local store.