Previous topic - Next topic

NePaSmoKer

Got some jerky hanging today.

Cold smoke  ;D

nepas

westexasmoker

Looking good there Nepas!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

telman

Nice...

Nepas, how long does it take to cold smoke with that set up?  How is the jerky texture compared to hot smoke?

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: telman on June 26, 2009, 12:52:36 PM
Nice...

Nepas, how long does it take to cold smoke with that set up?  How is the jerky texture compared to hot smoke?

Its going to take around 8 hours. The jerky is kinda soft compaired to heat smoked jerky. Good for the kids or those who dont have very many toofes  :D  ;D

nepas

telman

Good to know, thanks!

Telman

NePaSmoKer

Here is some of the cold smoked jerky. Still have a few pnds to go yet.

nepas

robo

Nepas if you don't mind me asking what is your brine/marinade you use for cold smoking, is it any different than hot. And when you cold smoke do you just let it smoke for 6-8 hours and all is good. Sorry for being such a rookie.
"If you don't stand behind your Troops feel free to stand in front of them."
" If my Country is not doing enough for yours go the !!!! HOME"

Robo

NePaSmoKer

The marinade is just a simple soy jerky marinade but i add eithe JD, Everclear of any bourbon you have. Cold smoke is applied with 2 to 3 hours of smoke at temps around 100* Note this is London Broil. You wouldnt want to do this low of a temp with pork or poultry.

nepas

robo

Thanks Nepas, just made my first batch of Jerky smoked well not very happy with my brine choice however. I have another batch to try tomorrow. So more to follow. I must say this sight rocks, and Nepas I like the photos you posted with your wooden smoke box. Hope you don't mind but I think I must create the same rig. Excellant set up. Again thanks talk to you later.

"If you don't stand behind your Troops feel free to stand in front of them."
" If my Country is not doing enough for yours go the !!!! HOME"

Robo

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: robo on June 27, 2009, 10:43:23 PM
Thanks Nepas, just made my first batch of Jerky smoked well not very happy with my brine choice however. I have another batch to try tomorrow. So more to follow. I must say this sight rocks, and Nepas I like the photos you posted with your wooden smoke box. Hope you don't mind but I think I must create the same rig. Excellant set up. Again thanks talk to you later.

Let me know if i can help you with anything.

nepas

Gizmo

Not Cold smoked but did just a few ounces of Jerky myself this weekend.
NePa,
Thanks for the tips on the hardware.
After smoking, used the Cabelas 80 L.  Great capacity but boy does the jerky slide around on the trays.  Got to be careful not to dump a whole tray on the floor, especially with the four legged floor cleaners around.   :D
I used the Jerky Canon for the dual strips on the GB, and the Shore Lunch for singles.  Both solid guns.  I am favoring the Jerky Canon with the larger capacity and two strips at a time.  I seemed to have been a bit more steady with the feed whe using the Jerky Canon over the Shore Lunch.

Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

NePaSmoKer

Wow quite i spread of jerky there Giz. Nice

nepas

smokeitall

Great looking spread there Giz.  I can't wait to get my 80L or 160L.

Margareeman

My only comment is wow!

Gizmo

The best part was when I calculated the capacity of the bradley (12 racks) and the capacity of the 80L (2 bradley rack worth plus some, will fit on 1 80L rack). I imentioned to my wife that t looks like I need to get another smoker.   ;D

She said "Oh Crap".

Ladies, I Need your advice.  Is that a yes?
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/