Questions about recent batch of jerky

Started by MontanaGuy, June 29, 2009, 07:58:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MontanaGuy

I finished about 6 lbs of beef jerky this weekend.  It appears much tougher than the first batch I did a couple weeks ago.  The first batch I cooked at 200 for about 4 hours.  I used flank steak.  It came out tender and tasty!

For this second batch I used London Broil.  I cooked it at about 150 degrees.  I let it cook for about 5.5 hours.  I used the lower heat level after reading the directions that came with my Bradley smoking screens.  They said to go for about 4 hours at 130 - 150.  But it didn't seem done at 4 hours.  So I let it go longer.

So here is what I need some feedback on.  First, is it likely that the jerky is tougher because I used London Broil instead of flank steak this time?  What cut would you all recommend I use for beef jerky?

Second, what is the recommended cooking temp and for how long do I cook it. I read somewhere that I should cook it until I can bend it without breaking.  But it bends even when it's raw!  So I'm not clear on how this is an indication of being done.  I don't want to undercook it either. 

I appreciate some feedback. Thanks!

smokeitall

Nepas is the jerky master and I am sure will be along with some fine advice for the temperatures.

I think the cut of meat is personal preference.  My favorite is flank, my wifes favorite is top round.  I am going to try london broil next.  As far as cook time and heat I start mine at 150 and never go much over, if I have to run out somewhere I take it down to 130, but I like real tough jerky.  I take mine out when I can bend it and it doesn't break but leaves a white mark where you bend it (you can tell there is very little moisture left)

MontanaGuy

Smokeitall,

How long are you smoking and cooking at 150?  I smoked for 1.5 hours and had the jerky in for a total of 5.5 hours. Some of the jerky strips were fairly thick so I can understand them not drying out as much.  But even the thinner ones seemed moist after 5.5 hours.  How long do you leave your jerky in the oven at 150?

NePaSmoKer

I use London Broil but you can use any cut of meat. I start my jerky at 140-145* and bump in 10* increments every 1-2 hours. My final temp is 180* For the smoke it depends on which smoker i am using. If my Bradley its only 5 pucks of smoke then just heat. If i use my jerky box its cold smoke 7 pucks with my heat around 130* then into my Cabelas dehydrator.

Let me know if you need more info.

nepas

MontanaGuy

Nepas,
Thanks for the message.  Gotcha about upping the temp every 1-2 hours.  What is the total oven time for your jerky?

MG

smokeitall

Mine usually takes around 6-8 hours.  If I have to bump in down to 130 for a little while of course I am closer to the 8 hours.  I also like my jerky a little thicker.  If you make it thin it won't take long at all.  I use 4-5 pucks of smoke when I make jerky in the OBS.

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: MontanaGuy on June 29, 2009, 01:31:11 PM
Nepas,
Thanks for the message.  Gotcha about upping the temp every 1-2 hours.  What is the total oven time for your jerky?

MG

I can do 5lbs in around 6 to 8 hrs depending on thickness like smokeitall is saying. Most of my jerky i slice between 3/16 and 1/4"

nepas

Gizmo

Quote from: MontanaGuy on June 29, 2009, 07:58:10 AM
Second, what is the recommended cooking temp and for how long do I cook it. I read somewhere that I should cook it until I can bend it without breaking.  But it bends even when it's raw!  So I'm not clear on how this is an indication of being done.  I don't want to undercook it either.  

I appreciate some feedback. Thanks!

Sorry for the book but:

Looks like this is not covered yet.
I use two methods.  One is feel.  If the meat is still spongy, it is not done.
The second that addresses your comment of bending, is to take a piece out when you think it is done.  Let it cool and when you bend it, it should start to crack a little.  If it breaks, it is over done so test often, of course you do run the risk of sampling your entire supply gone.   ;D  ;D  

My last batch pictured on another thread, I didn't dehydrate as far as normal.  It has just a little moisture in it and has a very good texture.  

If you find the whole muscle meat to be too tough no matter what you do, try ground.  I am becoming fond of it myself and thought I'd always be a whole muscle person.  

Also, how do you slice it?   With or against the grain.  I have done both and it all depends on how I cut the jerky after dehydrating.  When doing eye of round across the grain (you get circular pieces) the final piece really doesn't have a grain and will break or tear pretty equally in any direction.  If I cut with the grain, then I cut the dehydrated strips for the final product across the grain which will leave the grain going from side to side as you hold it to eat so you are biting and pulling the piece off at a grain line.  Makes it easier to chew.

Here is a visual.
Think of the meat as a round stack of spaghetti with each piece representing a grain strand of meat.  Cutting across the grain would be slicing across the stalks making short lengths (1/4 to 1/8 inch) of the group of pieces.  With that length being about 1/8 inch, there really isn't much in the way of grain left (like looking into the end of the stalk).
Cutting with the grain would be like cutting length wise and having the strands left the full length.  I tend to find most commercial make left in this configuration.  Since these pieces are long and wide, I cut across the grain so they are 2 to 3 inches wide.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

MontanaGuy

Hey folks,

I appreciate all the feedback.  After reading everything, I think I know what my problem was.  I completely misjudged how long it would take when cooking around 150.  Sounds like 6-8 hours is about right.  I thought 4-5 hours would be sufficient.  No wonder it didn't seem to be done.......it wasnt!   

I also wasn't as careful as I should have been about cutting cross grain.  I've heard people say everything..........crossgrain, with the grain, doesn't matter.  But it sounds like cross grain is probably the best way to go.

Thanks again for all the advise.  I think this weekend I'll go for another batch!

MG