Looking for a tangy Brisket BBQ sauce

Started by Bobbert, June 29, 2009, 11:50:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobbert

I now have the Brisket down to an art form!! 

Now for the next step!  I am looking to make a good homemade BBQ sauce for my brisket.  So i am on the hunt for a tangy bbq sauce.  We have tried store bought like sweet baby rays but way to sweet, but we kind of like the Famous Daves Devils Spit.

I am open for all suggestions, and I do expect to hear from WTS on this topic!

Thanks all!
Smokem if ya Gottem!!

westexasmoker

As far as store bought goes, Stubbs is my favorite.  Do prefer to make my own, as follows

Save your juice from cooking your brisket
2 cups vinegar
1 tbls worchestshire
1 tbls hot pepper sauce
1 tbls chili powder
2 tbls paprika
3 tbls black pepper
3 tbls salt
3/4 tsp dry mustard
1 bottle ketchup

Bring all to a boil then simmer for at least 10 minutes

If you want to kick it up a bit, throw a tsp of two of cayenne in.  This will make quite a bit!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

Bobbert

Thanks WTS I knew you would have an idea!   this sounds like what I am looking for.

But one question - what size bottle of ketchup?? 
Smokem if ya Gottem!!

Habanero Smoker

You can also try adding cider vinegar to your favorite sauce to get that extra tang. If you like it thick, after adding the vinegar, place the sauce on the stove at medium low heat and reduce it to the thickness you like.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

westexasmoker

Tenpoint5

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Bobbert

Thanks 10.5

This sounds really good, I will have to try a small batch of it!

But the only problem is that my last brisket has disappeared!!  DAMN!!! I have to do more :)  :)
Smokem if ya Gottem!!

Caneyscud

Or

2# cheap margarine
2 thinly sliced onions
2 thinkly sliced lemons
quarter cup of lemon juice
2 bottles of cheap beer
4 tablespoons of cym (or more)
Handful of sliced garlic cloves
Sliced jalapeno
salt
lots of black pepper.
combine all
Simmer till onions are done (I just put on the grill/smoker and leave it there the whole smoke)

I hope the measurements are ok, I never measure, I just make it.  I use it for a sop as well as a sauce.  I usually leave it on the grill/smoker while cooking and add more beer if needed. 
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Ka Honu

Try nepas' Carolina Mustard Sauce.  It fits your requirements, is easy to make and is pretty much one of the best BBQ sauces around.  I think it's about to become my standard with a few additions depending on what I'm using it on (although I'm not sure how I'd improve on the original recipe other than maybe to add some drippings from whatever it's going to be used on).

Bobbert

Quote from: westexasmoker on June 29, 2009, 04:02:39 PM
As far as store bought goes, Stubbs is my favorite.  Do prefer to make my own, as follows

Save your juice from cooking your brisket
2 cups vinegar
1 tbls worchestshire
1 tbls hot pepper sauce
1 tbls chili powder
2 tbls paprika
3 tbls black pepper
3 tbls salt
3/4 tsp dry mustard
1 bottle ketchup

Bring all to a boil then simmer for at least 10 minutes

If you want to kick it up a bit, throw a tsp of two of cayenne in.  This will make quite a bit!

C

WTS
You talk about saving the juice fromthe brisket, how much do you  use int he sauce or what do you ingredient do you replace using the sauce??  Or do you just add some in to the sauce??
Smokem if ya Gottem!!

westexasmoker

I use all of it, usually about 2 cups give or take, then cook it down until you get the consistency you want!

C