• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Modified Bubba Pucks

Started by Bobbert, June 29, 2009, 12:19:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobbert

All, just an FYI post

I did purchase 3 bubba pucks and found out the they weighed about 120 grams, so in order to reduce the weight of them I ended up drilling 7 - 1/2 inch holes in them,  it took off about 40 grams of each puck.  I figured it would be a little bit better on my advancing system on my DBS.

I did get my pucks at Yard and Pools - http://www.yardandpool.com/Smoker-Accessories-s/451.htm

Hope I help someone!!
Smokem if ya Gottem!!

mikecorn.1

Is drilling the holes necessary? I recently purchased some from yard and pool and they advanced just fine. Also are there any advantages of having 3 instead of 2 pucks? Thanks
Mike

pensrock

I know a guy who drilled holes in the sides of his pucks and tried to pick one up while still hot and now has a little round mark on his fingers.  ;D ;D ;D
I won't tell who.  ;D ;D ;D And it was NOT me.  :)

mikecorn.1

Mike

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: pensrock on June 29, 2009, 12:42:48 PM
I know a guy who drilled holes in the sides of his pucks and tried to pick one up while still hot and now has a little round mark on his fingers.  ;D ;D ;D
I won't tell who.  ;D ;D ;D And it was NOT me.  :)

:D  :D  :D

Do i know that guy. HAHAHA

nepas

Ka Honu

Quote from: mikecorn.1 on June 29, 2009, 12:35:19 PM... are there any advantages of having 3 instead of 2 pucks?

The 3rd puck "clears" the system by pushing the last burned bisquette into the drip bowl.

NePaSmoKer

When you take them off your smoke gen make sure you use pliers and have water to put them in  :D  :D

I'm going swimmin now  ;D

nepas

mikecorn.1

I see. I did notice when i was finished with the smoke, the last one in the cycle other than the two bubbas was sitting there looking kind of sad   :'(  that it wasnt in the bowl with the others.  ;D
Mike

NePaSmoKer

They may look cold but dont pick em up  :D  :D

nepas

Bobbert

Quote from: mikecorn.1 on June 29, 2009, 12:35:19 PM
Is drilling the holes necessary? I recently purchased some from yard and pool and they advanced just fine. Also are there any advantages of having 3 instead of 2 pucks? Thanks

I did not find it necessary to drill the holes, I did use them with out the holes and they advanced fine, but being a guy that can't leave well enough alone, I figured by removing weight from the  bubba pucks it would save wear and tear on my puck advace system.  Think of it this way, each standard bisquette weighs about 20 grams and each standard bubba puck weighs 120 grams. So if you are using the 3 pucks (which allows the the smoker to eject the last burnt bisquette off the burner, I smoke over night and don't like my last bisquestte to sit on the burner last the 20 minutes, that is why I use 3)  These 3 bubba pucks puts an extra 300 grams of force on your advancing system that is like adding an additional 15 bisquettes of weight to the system.  So by drilling the holes, I reduce the weight by 120 grams.  It does not sound like much but over time the extra weight has to add wear and tear on your smoker!

Besides it was a rainy day, and I had nothing better to do but drill holes in my pucks!!! 

Hope this helps
Smokem if ya Gottem!!

NePaSmoKer

I drilled mine a few years ago.

nepas

tsquared

I'm lazy. I use 2 bubba pucks and the last a regular wood puck, as it doesn't go anywhere near the burner and I can reuse it.
T2

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: tsquared on June 29, 2009, 07:24:43 PM
I'm lazy. I use 2 bubba pucks and the last a regular wood puck, as it doesn't go anywhere near the burner and I can reuse it.
T2

I'm with you on this one. I do the same. :) If you use a mesquite bisquette on top they will last a long time, almost as long as the Bubba pucks.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

pensrock

QuoteIf you use a mesquite bisquette on top they will last a long time, almost as long as the Bubba pucks.

Oh, so there is a use for the mesquite bisquettes?  ;D ;D ;D

Sorry WTS, I just could not pass that one up.  ;)

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: pensrock on June 30, 2009, 12:12:55 PM
QuoteIf you use a mesquite bisquette on top they will last a long time, almost as long as the Bubba pucks.

Oh, so there is a use for the mesquite bisquettes?  ;D ;D ;D

Sorry WTS, I just could not pass that one up.  ;)

Ever so often they do come in handy. :)

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)