Jerky For BigJohnT

Started by NePaSmoKer, June 30, 2009, 05:49:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smokeitall

Haven't made it down this week.  I was going to go today but I got tied up with a lot of stuff at my office.  I will get there next week.

BigJohnT

Scott,

It's going to be tough to save the jerky that long but I'll do my best :)

John

NePaSmoKer

Scott

Ya better hurry  :D

nepas

BigJohnT

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on June 30, 2009, 05:49:17 AM
Hey folks

Making some jerky for one of our forum members BigJohnT.  This is 7lbs of London Broil cut both ways with the grain and against. It dont really matter which way to cut, But there are Jerky cops out there that say oh no never against the grain. To that i say DOODLYSQUAT  :D  :D

Going with cold smoke JB pucks.

nepas

I gotta find some JB pucks... Ok I bit the bullet and have a starter smoker on the way... Now to try and pry some info from nepas on that wonderful jerky... and the Jerky Cops are way off cause I could not tell nor could my business partner's daughter... and I think he got one or two pieces.

John

smokeitall

Nice, I can't wait to see the new smoker  :)

NePaSmoKer

Hey John

Here is my basic jerky marinade for 1 pound. You can increase the amounts for larger batches of jerky. Try not to increase the cure too much. Here is a breakdown on how i use cure #1 per pound of meat.

Pounds

1. 1/8 tsp
2. 1/4 tsp
3. 1/4 tsp
4. 1/2 tsp
5. 1 level tsp

Dissolve the cure in the liquid before you add the meat.

Soy marinade.

1/2 cup soy sauce
1 T brown sugar
1 t minced garlic or powder
1/2 t ginger powder
1/2 t black pepper
1/8 t of cure
1 lb of meat strips

You can add any spice you like to this too. I add 1 T of hot N spicy country bobs sauce to this, gives it a redish color. Give the marinade a taste and you can adjust.

nepas

BigJohnT

Nepas,

Thanks for sharing that with everyone.

Where do you get the cure?

John

smokeitall

I will bring you some.
You can order it from anywhere.  Pink Salt, Instacure #1, prague powder #1, etc... there are a whole bunch of names for it

Mr Walleye

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on July 22, 2009, 07:02:28 AM

Pounds

1. 1/8 tsp
2. 1/4 tsp
3. 1/4 tsp
4. 1/2 tsp
5. 1 level tsp

NePas

I think something is wrong in your numbers. Probably big fingers on the keyboard.  :D

I've always used 1 level tsp per 5 lbs. Anything less than 5 lbs I use a "small" 1/4 tsp per lb.

Who the heck makes 1 lb of jerky anyway... That's barely a snack!  ::)  :D

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

BigJohnT

Weee! according to this link http://www.texastastes.com/p158.htm cure #1 is 6.25% sodium nitrite and the rest is salt. Both of which I have plenty. I use the sodium nitrite in my plasma table cooling water  :o

I have to agree Mike 1 lb of jerky is for test batches just to make sure you have copied the recipe properly.

John

NePaSmoKer

Yeah i know. sausage fingers lol

Thats the way i do cure though.

1lb will last me about a week  ;D

nepas