Jerky For BigJohnT

Started by NePaSmoKer, June 30, 2009, 05:49:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NePaSmoKer

Hey folks

Making some jerky for one of our forum members BigJohnT.  This is 7lbs of London Broil cut both ways with the grain and against. It dont really matter which way to cut, But there are Jerky cops out there that say oh no never against the grain. To that i say DOODLYSQUAT  :D  :D

Going with cold smoke JB pucks.

Got to Reveo the jerky in 2 batches

nepas

MontanaGuy

Nepas,

Sounds like you're a believer in cutting jerky either way........against or with the grain.  So maybe that wasn't my problem with the tough batch I made last weekend.  And I used London Broil which you seem to think is OK.  Guess my problem may have been just not cooking it long enough.  As I mentioned in my message under "Questions about recent batch of jerky", my last batch was alot tougher than the first batch where I used flank steak.  But I only had it in the oven for 5.5 hours.

Anyway, thanks for posting info to the Forum.  The comments from you and some of the other experienced Smokers has been very helpful.

MG

BigJohnT

Mmmm, my mouth is watering now  ;D

John

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: MontanaGuy on June 30, 2009, 07:04:21 AM
Nepas,

Sounds like you're a believer in cutting jerky either way........against or with the grain.  So maybe that wasn't my problem with the tough batch I made last weekend.  And I used London Broil which you seem to think is OK.  Guess my problem may have been just not cooking it long enough.  As I mentioned in my message under "Questions about recent batch of jerky", my last batch was alot tougher than the first batch where I used flank steak.  But I only had it in the oven for 5.5 hours.

Anyway, thanks for posting info to the Forum.  The comments from you and some of the other experienced Smokers has been very helpful.

MG

MG

Hey sorry for sounding like a wise a$$ in my post. Flank can make good or bad jerky depending on the fat content and how much salt is used in the marinade. It sounds like your on the right track, jerky is a small learing curve. I cant tell you how much meat i ruined years and years ago  :D

Try to start low temps like 145* then bump 10* every 1 to 1.5 hrs until you reach 180* Sometimes it can take from 6 to 12 hrs to do jerky.

nepas

smokeitall

That looks great as usual Nepas.

NePaSmoKer

Thanks Scott

The jerky is making me want some of my own  ;D

nepas

MontanaGuy

Nepas, 

No sweat.  Didn't think a thing of it.  I appreciate the advice.  This weekend I'm trying another round of jerky.  Having to cook it longer just gives me a reason to sit around and relax longer with refreshing beverage!

MG

NePaSmoKer

I needed to move more smoke out of the box. I took the jerky out and driles 2, 3/4" holes in the top and put my vent fan on. Now its moving smoke  ;D

nepas

NePaSmoKer

BigJohnT

I just got off the phone with Scott and he asked me to save him one  ;D

Looking good Nepas.

John

smokeitall

The way that jerky is looking I will be lucky if I get a crumb.   ;D ;D

BigJohnT

Mmmmm, I'm having jerky for breakfast I think if it lasts that long.

Very nice Nepas.

Thanks

John

Oh, you better hurry Scott...

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: BigJohnT on July 06, 2009, 02:17:43 PM
Mmmmm, I'm having jerky for breakfast I think if it lasts that long.

Very nice Nepas.

Thanks

John

Oh, you better hurry Scott...

It made it to you ok then.

nepas

BigJohnT

Nepas,

You made one little girl real happy. She asked "Daddy is it too hot?" her dad said "no, it is just right" she asked "Is it too hard to chew?" her dad said "no, it is just right." We wandered off to load a chicken coop on a trailer and when we got done she said "It was real good, can we get Mr. John's friend to make some more?" and there was none left :)

John

PS Scott I did save you some :)

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: BigJohnT on July 09, 2009, 07:11:06 AM
Nepas,

You made one little girl real happy. She asked "Daddy is it too hot?" her dad said "no, it is just right" she asked "Is it too hard to chew?" her dad said "no, it is just right." We wandered off to load a chicken coop on a trailer and when we got done she said "It was real good, can we get Mr. John's friend to make some more?" and there was none left :)

John

PS Scott I did save you some :)

This is nice to hear. Makes me happy when the young ones enjoy jerky.

If ya want more send me a PM.

Did Scott show up yet to get jerky

nepas