• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Going to give a pork loin a try.

Started by seagravedriver, July 02, 2009, 01:06:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seagravedriver

I am stepping out a bit with this, but I want to give it a go.  A 9 pound pork loin.  From my searches on here, it looks like 45 min to 1 hour per pound at a cook temp of 200F.  I am real new, so I gotta ask.  Do I give this smoke the whole time, or just the last few hours?  And what flavor do you recommend for the smoke? 

Habanero Smoker

I generally smoke/cook mine at 225°F. It is best to apply the smoke at the beginning, you will get better smoke penetration, as to just adhesion. I like a mild smoke flavor on pork loin, so I generally go with 2 hours of pecan; though apple, maple or even hickory works well. I can't give a time frame, due to many variable it could be 4 - 6 hours. Also the length of time will also depend on what your target internal temperature will be. I don't like over cooked pork, so I go to an internal temperature of 142°F - 145°F.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

KyNola

SGD,
Habs is spot on with his advice to you. 

There many things you can do to the loin depending on what your plans are for it.  You can put a rub on it. You can sauce it.  You can inject it.  You can wrap it in bacon.  You can combine any or all of the above or you can simply just smoke it.  It's all up to you.  Have a great time and let us know your results!

KyNola

Tenpoint5

Or to add to what the others have said. Pull at 142* IT and foil then into the fridge until cool then slice 3/4"  and freeze for smoked pork chops to get grill marks and heated later
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

OU812

10.5 beat me to it.
I do loin all the time just like he has stated.

seagravedriver

Since I am a paramedic, injecting it has me thinking!  I am going to rule out Lidocaine or Benadryl, so I am going to check out some injections at the local sporting goods store.  I am going to wrap it in bacon, I mean HOW can you go wrong when something is wrappedin bacon!

KyNola

Tenpoint5

Or Pull at 152 let rest for 10-15 minutes.

Then Slice and Serve

Bacon is ALWAYS good. (This is Venison Loin)

Slice and Serve

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

OU812

Boath of those loin's are looking good

That deer loin is cooked just the way I like it. Still on the rare side. So many people try to cook deer past med rare and say its to dry. Duh there's no fat.

Tenpoint5

The Bambi loin was fork tender and OOOOHHHHH So good!!! Had left overs of the pork but no Bambi leftovers.

HawkeyeSmokes

That venison loin look so good! And the pork ain't bad either! Thanks for the help on ribs.
HawkeyeSmokes

seagravedriver

Looks like I am doing the pork loin instead of the usual steaks for the 4th of July.  Again, pressure......I have faith in that smoker however!

lumpy

Very nice looking pork loin there Seagravedriver!

Lumpy

Caneyscud

I love venison loin and it's been so long since I've had some.  My knees are weak!
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

seagravedriver

Been busy at work, so it took a while to get back.  Thanks for all the advice.  The loin went down as a success!  Flaverful, (hey, it was wrapped in bacon!)  Photos to follow soon.  Got a 15 pound brisket I am going to mess with Monday.