• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Temperature difference between temperature set and inside temp.

Started by bradleydon, July 02, 2009, 03:18:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bradleydon

I set up my new Bradley Digital 4 Rack today. When seasoning it I followed the instructions and set the temperature to 150 degrees. The inside temp rose steadily until it got to 189 and held there for about half an hour. Towards the end of the hour-long seasoning the temp reached 194 degrees. I called Bradley and was told that the temp should fluctuate to arrive at an average temp of 150. This never happened. Is this normal or is there a way to calibrate it so that the two temps more closely match?

beefmann

don,

temps like you have described are normal on a standard bradley smoker, if you have a digital or a smoker with a PID controller the temp swings are not as wide and typically with in 10 to 15  degrees

pensrock

You will get temp swings. It will show up much more at a low temp like you had it set to and also without any load will make it worse. I know I was a little dissapointed in how much it would go up and down but its not much more than your oven in the house, it just doesn't display the reading for you to see the difference. I ended up making a PID unit so now I can control the temp +-2 degrees. Many on here do not use a PID and make great food. After you use it for a little while I think you will get used to how it operates and should be fine. Also did you have your top vent open? It should always be at least 1/4 open, I never close mine more than 1/2.

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum bradleydon!

Like the others said, temp swings are normal.

I also echo pensrock, keep the vent open.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

westexasmoker

Welcome to the forum bradleydon!

As already stated the temp swings are normal, unless you run a PID, keep an eye on it at first and you'll get the feel for what your box is doing...No need for a PID, unless you just want one for really tight temp control!  Good luck and keep us posted!

C

Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

bradleydon

Thanks for all the support. I've got ribs and chicken to cook tomorrow!!! I know it'll be great!!