Biltong

Started by NePaSmoKer, July 03, 2009, 10:07:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NePaSmoKer

Making some South African Biltong. High protein  ;D

Its not jerky because its made different. You can use any cut of beef or venison.

Spices are pretty easy with coriander being the main. I use whole coriander and use my mortar.

coriander
black pepper
kosher salt
cider vinegar
red pepper flakes
cure 1 (opt)

You can use any spice you want but keep the coriander in the mix.

Lay the meat down in a glass dish and sprinkle kosher salt on both side. Cover put in fridge for 2 hours. The kosher will blood out the meat.

Dont worry about the marbling in the meat, but do cut off any large fat areas. This is kinda long process.

nepas

NePaSmoKer

Here is what you need to do.

Mix cider vinegar with wocestire sauce. After you have taken the strips out of the fridge with the kosher salt on them, Rinse each strip. When rinsed soak the strips in the vinegar solution for 20 mins. Place on paper towel and blot off excess vinegar. Then roll the strips into the spice mix.

I mixed all my spices together. Sorry didnt get a pic.
Here is what your strips should look like. Now cover and in the fridge overnight.

nepas

NePaSmoKer

The biltong is hanging, fan on. This is not going to get any smoke, But if you wanted you could. Time is around 1 to 3 days. IT of the box is 100*

nepas

Gizmo

Very interesting looking.  Kind of reminds me of underwater coral.  3 days at 100 Deg, now that is patience.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

NePaSmoKer

I just took it out, got done faster than i expected it to. Taste pretty good.

nepas

OU812

NePa dont no how i missed this post but i was reading in another one and you stated you have made it b4

Both posts make it sound great and am going to give a whirl this weekend just need a more presice recipe as i have never tried it b4 so i just dont want to waste some deer meat

Just took out my last pack of jerky sun for a party and it was gone in no time, we had an end of season (girls softball) party and brought some of your "tex mex" and it was a hit also, a little hot for some of the girls and guys but thats what i need is the input to find the heat everyone likes. To me it was just right, i used both the black pepper and the cayenne pepper

So its going to be a jerky kind of weekend

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: OU812 on August 17, 2009, 02:28:41 PM
NePa dont no how i missed this post but i was reading in another one and you stated you have made it b4

Both posts make it sound great and am going to give a whirl this weekend just need a more presice recipe as i have never tried it b4 so i just dont want to waste some deer meat

Just took out my last pack of jerky sun for a party and it was gone in no time, we had an end of season (girls softball) party and brought some of your "tex mex" and it was a hit also, a little hot for some of the girls and guys but thats what i need is the input to find the heat everyone likes. To me it was just right, i used both the black pepper and the cayenne pepper

I made biltong many times. Use london broil. Very easy to make.

nepas

mikecorn.1

Very good looking stuff as always.  ;)
Mike

OU812

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on August 17, 2009, 02:47:28 PM

nepas

NePa you have the time to post a recipe?

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: OU812 on August 19, 2009, 09:05:02 AM
Quote from: NePaSmoKer on August 17, 2009, 02:47:28 PM

nepas

NePa you have the time to post a recipe?

Use the recipe on the first post.

1 cup crushed corriander
4 T salt kosher or (non iodized)
2 cups cider vinegar
2 T worchestire

Then just follow the above

nepas