Bradley Smoked Wild Alaskan Salmon

Started by Kummok, February 01, 2004, 02:07:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rooster85

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on July 24, 2016, 01:25:06 AM
I may have to order some, I can't seem to find it in any local stores.

I have to get mine from a Heinens market, about 30 min from home. I know it can be purchased on Amazon though. It's more of a specialty item.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Habanero Smoker

I saw it on Amazon. I may order from them. Thanks

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

JohnM70

Well things did not turn out well. The salmon turned out to be somewhat dry. :'( It was darker than I would have imagined and was a little salty, and I thought I rinsed well. The taste was ok but.... When the air dry was complete the filets were firm and somewhat sticky. I had a fan blowing over the filets for about 4 hours.
I think the problems were: a little too much soy, and too long in the smoker.  Also, I believe the filet was too thin and I should have cut larger pieces. I set the temps to 75 min @ 110F, 130 min @ 140. When this step was finished I checked the IT and depending on the thickness the range was 115F to 130F. I also noticed the pieces had shrunk some. The last step the temp was 175F for 60min. the final IT temp range was 141F to 152F.
I will try again soon. Maybe I can get my neighbor to sell me some of his salmon. He has lots. ;D
John

Bradley 6 Rack BDS with cold smoke attachment, Maverick remote dual temp(2), Thermapen and,  Auber Dual Probe PID, 1300 Watt Mod, Weber Genesis E310

"I keep cutting it off and cutting it off and it is still too short"

JohnM70

I must stand corrected, I sampled the salmon right after I removed it from the smoker. It was in the fridge over night and when I sampled it the next day it was good. Like I said before a little salty & dry, (but thats what beer is for :) ) and it may  have become jerky. But it tastes great ;D. I just need to think it through the next time.
John
Bradley 6 Rack BDS with cold smoke attachment, Maverick remote dual temp(2), Thermapen and,  Auber Dual Probe PID, 1300 Watt Mod, Weber Genesis E310

"I keep cutting it off and cutting it off and it is still too short"

rooster85

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on July 25, 2016, 01:26:41 AM

Give it a shot Hab, you may like it. I know I like it but I haven't had soy in so long that I don't really remember what soy tastes like.

Habanero Smoker

I will. I plan to order some the next time I order from Amazon, but in the mean time, I will check a few health food stores. It looks interesting. I'm curious as to why you don't use soy sauce.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Kummok

This brine recipe was originally posted back in 2004 and has evolved a bit since then for my own personal use. Most of the changes are buried in all the comment but here's the synopsis:
I use only teriyaki (or Yoshida's) and I double the brown sugar (4 lbs). Further, I only smoke for around 3-3.5 hrs and rarely pass 145°F, starting around 120°F. All skin/bones removed and meat is cut into bite size pieces. Overnight soak, 10-20 hours is safe and dry with fan on 'Low' about 6' from product for 5-8 hours max...Hope this helps! Just finished making 16 lbs of finished tasty morsels this way....

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: rooster85 on July 28, 2016, 05:27:29 AM
Quote from: Habanero Smoker on July 25, 2016, 01:26:41 AM

Give it a shot Hab, you may like it. I know I like it but I haven't had soy in so long that I don't really remember what soy tastes like.

A nearby health food store sells Coconut Secret Coconut Aminos. I didn't try it as a substitute for Kummok's brine, but did use it in a Carribian style barbecue sauce I make. I do like the flavor, but I feel the taste is a little too subtle for the strong flavor of salmon. I could only taste a slight hint of it in my sauce. This would make a good replacement for soy sauce as a condiment. 

I
         don't
                   inhale.

mahto

thank you been wanting to try salmon
tu amigo
mahto
tu amigo
mahto

Kummok

Quote from: mahto on November 30, 2016, 12:19:56 PM
thank you been wanting to try salmon
tu amigo
mahto

So Matho, how'd the salmon turn out?

Bou2

This one is for Mr. Kummok, but all members input is appreciated. Just returned from fishing in Valdez and loaded up on Silvers...My new Bradley original 4-rack smoker arrived today and just finished seasoning it...Cant wait to put it to work. I used your recipe for brine: terriyaki instead of Soy, 4T of Cayenne instead of 3, and a little extra brown sugar as you had mentioned in a previous post. Not sure if it was necessary, but heated the brine to make ingredients go into solution better...It's now chilling in the fridge.  Question about the brining process: This is a dumb question I know...You mention dumping a gallon of ice in an igloo. Is this in addition to water used to make the brine? If so, won't this dilute the brine solution? I was going to keep it in the fridge for 12 hrs in a big pot that I have used for turkey deep fry.
Lot's of info out there on the smoking process...I have never done it before and please correct me if i'm wrong but here is my plan:

100F -115F for 1 hr no smoke.
120F 1.5 hrs with smoke
140F 2.0 hrs with smoke
170F-175F for 1 hr no smoke

4 Big fillets sliced up in slightly larger strips than you have suggested maybe 1"

Fish were all about 9-12lbs and thickest fillet is slightly over 1" thick.

Any insight or comments on this topic would be deeply appreciated.

I recently tuned into this forum and have been reading many of your posts...I am anxious to try your recipe as it looks like a winner!

Thanks much,

Bou2

Well,
Just finished my first batch...I stuck to kammok's recipe, and followed the smoking procedure I outlined above.  The fish on the lower rack in the rear is black...extremely well done. smaller pieces in the middle racks and top rack good but on the verge of being well done.  The hot product tasted quite salty, but it seems like the flavor is getting better as the product cools down a bit.  I can taste the Cayenne a bit which is nice. 

I think next time around I'll try smoking a little differently....Maybe test some of the fish as it's smoking. DUH! I will use lower temps as I think when I pushed it to 175F for the last hour it was too much. Do you really have to go to 175F?? 155F might have been better?? Also, think I'll use a little less smoke...I piped straight smoke for 2.5 to 3 hrs, and it seems a bit strong.

So Next time slightly less smoke, lower temps, sample product as it is smoking, and possibly a little less salt. Maybe this is how it's supposed to taste??? I guess I was expecting more of a candied flavor.

Thoughts and comments appreciated.

Habanero Smoker

For the fish to cook more evenly, rotate your racks; top to bottom, and front to back - meaning turn the racks 180 degrees before placing them back into the smoker.

If the fish fillets are thinner, you may want to cut back on the brining time.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

watchdog56

Did you soak the fish in fresh water for an hour or so before putting in smoker to help eliminate to much salt?

Bou2

Quote from: watchdog56 on September 10, 2017, 06:34:52 AM
Did you soak the fish in fresh water for an hour or so before putting in smoker to help eliminate to much salt?
I rinsed the fish as indicated after brining. I did not soak the fish in FW for an hour. Have you done this? 

As a side note, the flavor of the fish after coming out of the refrigerator a day later was outstanding. The salt content seemed much lower than the samples I tried when product was hot from the smoker!

Thanks!