• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Smoking a Tri Tip

Started by Brisket Lover, July 03, 2009, 09:51:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brisket Lover

For the first time I'll be doing a tri tip.  I've not done one before so I was looking for a bit of advice. To sear or not to sear before smoking.  In my reading Ive found that people say that helps keep it moist since there is very little fat.  Would you sear all sides or just the top?  Of course there are others that just smoked it to 140-145 and it came out great.  So what say you?

Habanero Smoker

Searing meat does not help it to retain moisture. What is does is to create what is know as the maillard reaction, which is simply caramelizing the sugars in the meat's protein with amino acids on the meat's surface. It give the meat a wonderful flavor of the meat, and adds a crust.

You should apply the smoke first, then do your searing. I have never tried to sear partially cooked meat, but others have and stated searing will work when the meat is partially cooked. Or you can skip the searing all together.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

beefmann

brisket lover,

have done several tri tips, a few  i have taken to 150 - 155... others ci have taken to 195 - 200 where it fell apart tender... it depends on what you want, only one thing .. season it as you normally would. Smoke it 2 to 3 hours max depending on how strong you like yor smoke.

Brisket Lover

I ended up doing about 2 hours mesquite and 2 of hickory.  I took it to 140 then FTC it.  It was a huge hit.