• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Boneless center cut pork loin - waddaya got?

Started by jha1223, July 04, 2009, 10:55:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jha1223

Nice center cut boneless pork loin waiting in the fridge.  Going to be my maiden voyage on pork loin so I'm looking for some suggestions and ideas from those that have done it.   I picked up some apple wood this weekend as I had a sneaking suspicion that it would be best (yes, yes I know you certain "M" wood guy :P ). 

So, throw it at me.  Boneless, center cut pork - what's your best experience with it?  GO!!!!!!!!!!
There is such a thing as BBQ in Nebraska!

Habanero Smoker

There are many things you can do with pork loin. The best thing is to make Canadian bacon :), but then you wouldn't be able to smoke/cook it today. You can leave the cut like it is, and roast it, after applying your favorite rub; and/or you can inject it with a marinade. A flavor brine is another possibility. Other options are to butterfly and stuff it, or slice it into boneless chops.

There are some recipes on this site, and more on the web. Use a recipe you like, and smoke/cook it in the smoker at 225°F, applying 2 hours of smoke; I prefer pecan on pork. I take mine to an internal temperature of 142°F - 145°F; no FTC but just tent and let the meat rest about 20 minutes prior to cutting.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

HawkeyeSmokes

Hab's has given some great ideas. His Canadian Bacon recipe rocks.

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?p=500#post500

I made some a few weeks ago with great results. Make sure to follow his advice on IT temperature cooking it fresh or cured to avoid dry pork.

As far as wood goes, I think you will like the apple, used that on the Canadian bacon and it very good. I've even started mixing apple and hickory on other smokes.

Keep up the good work!!
HawkeyeSmokes

OU812

Habs said about all that can be said. I have done all of that. Just make sure you don't cook past 146 F or it will start to dry out. The best way I like is to butterfly and stuff with what ever comes to mind that day. I.E. cheese onion mushrooms jalapeno green or red pepper peperoni and roll back up. Then a nice weave of bacon and smoke with Pecan.

Margareeman

That weave is unreal, how the heck did ya do that :o ;D

jha1223

Thanks for all the tips.  I'm trying a little something different maybe.  I'm not a huge fan of Canadian bacon, but my wife loves it, so I will get a loin and start the curing.  I came up with a rub (god help me) and am going to see how that goes.  My biggest concern is the warnings about temp.  I am really concerned about drying out the loin.  I would have gotten a remote temp sooner, but I've been spending quite a bit of time/money making everything else and keeping the cooler stocked for all the events that I've been smoking food.  Couple hours of smoke and then I'm going to babysit the smoker I guess.

HawkeyeSmokes

If you don't have a remote thermometer, you could pickup an inexpensive baby dial instant read. http://www.amazon.com/Taylor-Classic-Instant-Read-Pocket-Thermometer/dp/B00004XSC4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1247337800&sr=8-2 The link is just a reference, lot's of local stores should carry them.
I used one for years before getting a remote thermometer. Not as convenient but sure better than none. You can't leave these in while cooking, only use to spot check the IT.
HawkeyeSmokes

Habanero Smoker

If you or your wife have a probe oven thermometer, you can use that. They are accurate, usually can be calibrated, and if you have to open the door to use a instant read, opening the door to read the probe is much quicker.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

jha1223

I have an excellent instant read.  The only problem, obviously, is that often times the reading is too late.  Oh well.  Maybe I'll get one for next season.

Two hours of apple smoke and the rest of the time in the oven to come up to temp.  Here's the rub I tried:

1 TB Brown Sugar
1 TB Cumin
1 TB Coarse Salt
1 TB Paprika
1 TB Pepper (I used tellicherry and black mixed)
1 tsp Allspice
1 tsp Cayenne

The flavor of the rub turned out to be quite good.  It did have a little more kick than I expected, but good none the less.  And for the photos:

The photo quality isn't the best.  I think I had some pretty poor lighting.  Some of my wife's home made stuffing and a cold frosty.  Never had tried that Tap Room beer.  It was a pale ale with a really nice bite to it. 

HawkeyeSmokes

Looking at the pics, you done good.  ;D The instant read is not as handy as a remote but sure beats not having any. Keep up the good work.
HawkeyeSmokes

OU812

Good looking lion you made there, looks like it was nice and moist.