Max jerky smoke

Started by mcintoshaudio, July 05, 2009, 01:41:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Legend

I use to use cure but now it only lasts a day or 2 so I don't bother

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: mcintoshaudio on July 08, 2009, 04:30:52 PM
Hey Blue Legend, do you use a cure on yours or not. Don't know if it would last long enough to matter:), but I may make large amounts and wanted to know if it will store for a conciderable amount of time with no cure.

If your not going to use cure, make sure you vac seal the jerky. Air is the enemy for non cured jerky. Your looking at a week and a half.
Spraying potasium sorbate on the jerky will inhibit molds, yeast and fungi.

nepas

Gizmo

NePa,
Have you ever tried mixing the Potassium Sorbate in with the liquid flavoring?  Just wondering if it would be better than spraying on after the jerky is dehydrated?
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Gizmo on July 08, 2009, 08:14:41 PM
NePa,
Have you ever tried mixing the Potassium Sorbate in with the liquid flavoring?  Just wondering if it would be better than spraying on after the jerky is dehydrated?

Yeah Giz i did that 1 time..............1 time  :D

It made the marinade taste weird  :o

nepas

Blue Legend

Nepas, out of curiosity, how long does the Jerky last in a brown paper bag if it has been cured?

FLBentRider

Quote from: Blue Legend on July 09, 2009, 12:10:09 PM
Nepas, out of curiosity, how long does the Jerky last in a brown paper bag if it has been cured?

Where do you get Potassium Sorbate ?

How is it applied ?
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

NePaSmoKer

Lasts about a week and half in the fridge. If you freeze it will last about 7 to 9 months.

Quote from: FLBentRider on July 09, 2009, 12:15:34 PM

Where do you get Potassium Sorbate ?

How is it applied ?

You mix 1 oz PS to 1 qt water and put it in a spray bottle and spray the jerky. I use just a teaspoon to 1 bottle full of water. You can get PS at Alliedkenco

nepas

mcintoshaudio

Thanks NePa,

Could some of you experienced smokers suggest a good vac sealer? Would like to prepackage for lunches or when ever. 6 rack DBS came in today, and I know I can smoke more than my family and friends can eat before freezing. I'll season it Saturday, and know I will be preparing something for a Sunday smoke. Any good suggestions on a first trial?

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: mcintoshaudio on July 09, 2009, 04:26:00 PM
Thanks NePa,

Could some of you experienced smokers suggest a good vac sealer? Would like to prepackage for lunches or when ever. 6 rack DBS came in today, and I know I can smoke more than my family and friends can eat before freezing. I'll season it Saturday, and know I will be preparing something for a Sunday smoke. Any good suggestions on a first trial?

Ya cant beat the foodsaver line of sealers.

nepas

mcintoshaudio

Yeah, I thought that's what you used from your pic posts. I looked them up on a web search and found a few different models. Only want to buy one and would like to know I made the right pick.

Thanks for being patient, all.

HawkeyeSmokes

I have a rain check coming from Kohls on a FoodSaver v2830. My local store was out of them and picked one up at one of their other stores. The price was 58.99. If any one wants the rain check, send me a PM and the first reply gets it. FREE shipping on the rain check by the way in the US.  :D
HawkeyeSmokes