Max jerky smoke

Started by mcintoshaudio, July 05, 2009, 01:41:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcintoshaudio

Hi all, I've purchased a new 6 rack digital, not here yet, but jerky will be my first trial. I have many friends that like my jerky. Just wanted to know if there is anything about the Bradley for doing jerky that I should know about. I generally use London Broil and do the max amount possible. Still doesn't last long.
Does anyone know the max amount that can be done with jerky racks. 12 racks would be my guess 'cause they can be double stacked. Anyone have experience with this amount? Don't see any posts on this. Should I max it out or will this work my hind end off in rack rotation and monitoring? From what I've read I think NePa is the jerky guru. What say you. I know you have a special contraption of your own, but I'm just simple folk. I believe you normally finish yours in a dehydrator, but since I don't have one that won't be an option to start.

Thanks to all for you input. Before I found this site, I thought I knew how to smoke. If I stay here, I know I will!

Gizmo

Smoke time:  1 hour 20 minutes is the max I go.
Finish time will depend on the thickness and if you are doing wet or dry and how hot the box temp averages.
Box temp is usually around 160 deg.  Don't really want to cook the jerky.
Vent wide open.
With only 1 hour 20 of smoke and no real fat rendering especially with lean whole muscle, you can get away without having water in the bowl or just a small amount.

12 racks is correct with the second set of 6 inverted. 
You will want to rotate the racks from top to bottom and front to back.  Opening the door is the enemy as it takes a while for the box to recover so every hour to 1 hr 20 minutes.
With the heater being low and on the back of the unit, the bottom back tray will cook if you don't rotate the racks. 
8 lbs of raw meat is about what I get stuffed onto 12 racks.  Again, this would also depend on how thick or thin you slice your meat. 

Cheap dehydrators are really the way to go though after applying the smoke.  Much more convenient and consistent dehydrating.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

NePaSmoKer

Hi welcome to the forum

To answer your question , yes you can do a full 12 rack jerky smoke in your DBS.

First season your smoker, place all racks bowl and v-tray in the smoker before you do your 1st meat smoke. I seasoned mine years ago with 4 hours of wood (12 pucks)

When you do jerky your looking at a minimal smoke amount 3 to 6 pucks. Keep your top vent open 1/2 way and now water in the pan. Do have the pan there to catch the pucks though. Total time wise your looking at anywhere from 5 to 9 hours. This is depending on the thickness of the meat. You can test the jerky by the bend test. If you can bend it, its getting close to done. Note this is in the late hours of the heat IE 5 to 6 hours. If the jerky snaps in half its over done.

You will have to rotate the racks. top to bottom visa versa and i turn the racks at the same time.

There are many ways to do jerky. Lots of great folks on the forum that can add different ways and things. Dont be afraid to ask questions.

Here are a couple pics of my BS doing jerky.

This is what your looking for in done jerky.

nepas

mcintoshaudio

NePa you are the ace of aces. Man, that stuff looks good. Are you using just the Bradley for this or what? I was thinking I could do 20#s of this in the 6 rack.1/4 maybe 3/16. Have you found that wet or dry works best? I prefer with the grain. More chew time, more flavor. Nothing worse than having your friends ask for another rack before you can get it done.

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: mcintoshaudio on July 05, 2009, 03:13:16 PM
NePa you are the ace of aces. Man, that stuff looks good. Are you using just the Bradley for this or what? I was thinking I could do 20#s of this in the 6 rack.1/4 maybe 3/16. Have you found that wet or dry works best? I prefer with the grain. More chew time, more flavor. Nothing worse than having your friends ask for another rack before you can get it done.

I use my Bradley most of the time for max smoke penetration, But have recently used my jerky box with my Bradley smoke generator hooked to it. I can get around 50 lbs in the box compaired to 20 in my Bradley.

I cut my jerky from 3/16 to 1/4" and use a wet marinade. Some members use HM dry jerky mix. Try top round or eye and slice into rounds  ;D you'll be suprised at the jerky you get.

nepas

mcintoshaudio

Thanks nepas. I'll give it a go and let you know how it turns out. Will post pics if a newbie is allowed. Will probably be next week, depending on how much sports my kids commit me to.

HawkeyeSmokes

Hi mcintoshaudio, pics are allowed from newbies. I'm proof of that. From what I can tell, the pro's here love to see pic's from the new members more than any. They are more than willing to help you out. Good luck on that jerkey and have fun with it.  ;D
HawkeyeSmokes

Blue Legend

Mcintosh, I too don't have a dehydrater and only use the Bradley. I normally do 100 deg and use no smoke for the first hour to dry the surface, then smoke with Maple for 3 hours. Turn the meat to stop it from sticking to the racks. Rotate the racks as above. Then continue at 100 deg for anywhere up to another 6 hours until the meat is dry and shows white streaks when you bend it. I marinade mine overnight in Teryaki sauce or Thai Sweet Chilli sauce. This is what I end up with but it doesn't usually last too long
http://i703.photobucket.com/albums/ww37/Gamfsh/DSC04056.jpg

lumpy

NePa you are the ace of aces. Man, that stuff looks good. Are you using just the Bradley for this or what?

Once you get to know NePas..............you will LOL over the above sentence.

I think that he is trying to build his entire house into one gigantic smoker. ;D

Welcome to the forum...............please feel free to post pictures. Some of the older members ;) would just rather see pictures than lenghty editorials.

Lumpy

Blue Legend

Whats wrong with my process ;D tastes great, looks good and, well it works, plus our meat is top notch world class as you all know :D However always looking to improve so hopefully Nepa will be along shortly to show me my flaws ;D

lumpy

Never say that you have flaws since there is always someone who will eat your smoked food.

My first rack of ribs I thought were a disaster. I let me friend try them out and he thought they were the best he had ever eaten!
Go figure.?

Lumpy

Blue Legend

Cool, I didn't think i had any, and have eaten tons of the stuff. It tastes all good to me.

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Blue Legend on July 08, 2009, 12:26:05 PM
Whats wrong with my process ;D tastes great, looks good and, well it works, plus our meat is top notch world class as you all know :D However always looking to improve so hopefully Nepa will be along shortly to show me my flaws ;D

I dont see no flaws  ;D

I do a full Bradley smoke on jerky allot with outstanding results. The deydrator just speeds up the process is all.

I have jerky going in tomorrow, i will post.

nepas

mcintoshaudio

The last time I did jerky was for the 12 Hours of Sebring down here in Florida. I sent it with my brother on Wednesday. He saved it until Saturday when I got there. I had 5 pounds, put it out at 12:00 on Saturday. By 12:30 it was all gone! Didn't use a Bradley and thought it could be better. Just goes to show that most people don't know the difference between pretty good and great, and don't really care.
I'm really excited to get my new Bradley. I think I'll need to do 20 pounds next time. Should have enough time to get it down pat with all the help from this forum.

Thanks all for your support. This stuff could get addictive real quick.

mcintoshaudio

Hey Blue Legend, do you use a cure on yours or not. Don't know if it would last long enough to matter:), but I may make large amounts and wanted to know if it will store for a conciderable amount of time with no cure.