Diagnosis of my 1s attempt welcome! Wasn't bad, but I think I missed something

Started by Mongo Johnson, July 05, 2009, 02:57:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mongo Johnson

All in all, I think we did OK. I shared a bit with neighbors as the Independence Day fountains sputtered and got some good comments on the tritip. Ribs were a bit dry etc.

I'd welcome any insight. My thoughts are we went too hot, too short and maybe should have added water.

We deboxed, ran a couple hours to season new unit.

Then we loaded with hickory and did three racks with a variety of rubs we'd had in the cupboard.

Bottom rack 1. Thicker stuff, 3 lb tri tip. A couple thick county style pork ribs.

2. Couple more country style ribs and a couple chicken breasts

3. Some babyback ribs

Brought it up to 200 and let go for 3 hours. Am wondering if we should have gone five hours at 150? (Will read throught the forum.)

The thicker stuff did OK and the ribs improved if soaked with a bit of sauce. But, they were more 'cowboy style' needing nawing, rather than 'fall of the bone.'

Feedback is welcome. My guess is, lower temp, longer time?

HawkeyeSmokes

Hi Mongo and welcome.

Sounds to me like you need both a higher temp plus more time. I like to preheat my smoker to at least 260 before loading the meat in. Try not to peek to much while cooking as that slows done the cooking time a lot. Then try to maintain about 220 with 2 hours of smoke for the ribs. Then boat in foil with a splash of apple juice and I have been finishing in the oven. Here is link to the tutorial that 10.5 put together.
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?t=581
I've been using that on spares and have been taking about 6 hours total time. Baby backs would get done some quicker I'm sure. I just make to to allow plenty of time.
Not much help on the tri-tip as I have not done that one but I'm sure others will be on about that.

Good luck, keep trying and post pictures. Everyone here loves those pics.
HawkeyeSmokes

Mongo Johnson

Hmmm. I found it pretty easy to set the temp of the smoker. Do you set the box for the temp you want the final meat or a bit higher ad then don't open the box? Say, 145 for a tri-tip or do you go higher and guestimate hours?

If I'm cooking in a patio's open shade on an 80 degree summer afternoon . . . I'm pondering what experienced common sense there is out there . . . I guess I'm looking to add a couple columns to this table that would be guaged for med-rare and fall of the bone . . . Say a column for smoker box temp and meat weight . . .  and time cooking.

http://www.susanminor.org/users/Hab/Misc_Files/Other/When%20Is%20Meat%20Done.pdf

Mr Walleye

Hi Mongo

I think Hawkeye has ya on the right path.

When I do ribs I remove the membrane and rub them down, preheat the Bradley to about 260 degrees. Once I load the ribs I adjust the temp to 220 and I begin applying about 3hours of smoke for my taste. I usually have the vent at least 1/2 open. You will probably want to do a rack rotation about halfway through. Once the 3 hours of smoke is complete I let them continue for 1 more hour without smoke. Then I put them into a foil roaster, add a splash of AJ, cover with foil and throw them back into the smoker at 220 for another 2 to 3 hours. After this I will put them on the grill just long enough to sauce them. They turn out very tasty and tender every time.

10.5 did a nice write up on ribs over on the recipe site. Here is the link.
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?p=920#post920

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

FLBentRider

Set the box temp to 200-220F or so, and monitor the internal temp of the meat with a meat thermometer.

When you rotate the racks, make sure you do back to front as well, the back of the box is hotter than the front.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Mongo Johnson

What happens if you go lower on temp, say 160 - 180? Good or bad idea?

Thanks for that link to that illustrated rib recipie.

Mr Walleye

Quote from: Mongo Johnson on July 05, 2009, 03:43:57 PM

I've never tried it but I would suspect it would take a very long time at that low of a temp. It could also dry them out, kinda like the way you do jerky.

Just my 2 cents

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

HawkeyeSmokes

Quote from: Mr Walleye on July 05, 2009, 03:47:13 PM
Quote from: Mongo Johnson on July 05, 2009, 03:43:57 PM

I've never tried it but I would suspect it would take a very long time at that low of a temp. It could also dry them out, kinda like the way you do jerky.

Just my 2 cents

Mike

I would agree with Mike about taking to long and drying the meat out. The ribs might never even reach a high enough temperature to become tender. They have a built in thermometer to tell when they are done. The meat will start to pull back from the end of the bones and should be at least a 1/4" Even more doesn't hurt. Here's a pic of the last ones I did and they were falling of the bone tender and very juciy.

Trust that tutorial. I ruined my first batch because I didn't find this forum first. Every thing has been great since following their instructions. The more experienced members than me are a wealth of knowledge and more than willing to help.
HawkeyeSmokes