• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Jalapeno Pepper Jack Summer Sauasge

Started by OU812, July 06, 2009, 10:21:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OU812

Finley had some time to do up some summer sausage (had Fri. off) started it Thur. night, had the pork already coarse ground form the last batch cubed up and ready to regrind.
Next was the deer

This is after the first grind

Next was the jalapenos which were added on the second grind

This is after the second grind

Then comes the Pepper Jack Cheese

Started mixing in the cheese

Next was the seasonings mixed with 12 oz distilled water.

Time to start stuffing

All stuffed and hanging to dry. I like to make then into 1.5 lb chubs they look better that way when you give then out.

In the smoker at 120 F for an hr with the vent wide open

Then 3 hr of Pecan increasing the temp 10 F every hr till the final cook temp of 170F and an IT of 156 F then a dip in cold water as each one gets to 156F 

Then let sit over night and remove the casings

Sliced up for a snack while I package up the rest

NePaSmoKer

Nice sausage there OU

I am out of venison right now but hunting season is just around the corner, Got 4 tags but may not need them being the deer will be in the back of the property  ;D

nepas

OU812

Thanks Nepa
Seen a buck in velvet this morning heading right to my little hot spot. Cant wait, I have 2 permits and so does my son for rifle season. Then comes black powder. Cant do archery though, I blew out my shoulder a couple years back form a motorcycle accident.
The Doc made me quit racing after putting me back together three times that year. He said I was getting to old to be doing that kind of stuff and maybe I should get a street bike.

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: OU812 on July 06, 2009, 10:52:58 AM
Thanks Nepa
Seen a buck in velvet this morning heading right to my little hot spot. Cant wait, I have 2 permits and so does my son for rifle season. Then comes black powder. Cant do archery though, I blew out my shoulder a couple years back form a motorcycle accident.
The Doc made me quit racing after putting me back together three times that year. He said I was getting to old to be doing that kind of stuff and maybe I should get a street bike.

Yeah i hear that. I dont archery hunt anymore either. Here is PA they have opened crossbow if you have a dissability.

nepas

lumpy

Here there OU812..........
Can you tell me why you took the sausage out of the casing.

Lumpy

OU812

Lumpy, I have found if you freeze the sausage with the casing on the moisture between the meat and casing tends to make frost crystals and over time will taste like your freezer. The outer surface of the sausage creates its own protective layer after being smoked. This weekend I pulled some sausage out of the freezer that was dated May of 07 and no frost or freezer burn and tasted great. Sometimes things get lost in there.

FLBentRider

Nice looking sausages.

I might load up the RV and head to PA for some venison this fall too. Trouble is, I gotta take the kids out of school since they don't close the FL schools for PA's hunting season...
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

lumpy

Do you think that vacuum pack might work?

One more thing...........you need to invite me and my carnivore friends over if you still have sausage in your freezer from 2007 ;D
We will clean it out for you.
Lumpy

OU812

I have done the vacuum pack thing b4 but that tends to add up the $
When I do it for gifts then I will.

lumpy

Got it
Thanks..........Mr. full member ;)

Lump

OU812

smokeitall

Great looking sausage there.  Thanks for the tip on removing the casing, I am going to give that a try.

I also can't wait until deer season.  Its almost time to start counting down the days with just over 2 months till opening bow season.  :)

pensrock

QuoteI might load up the RV and head to PA for some venison this fall too. Trouble is, I gotta take the kids out of school since they don't close the FL schools for PA's hunting season...

You mean the first day of deer season is not a holiday everywhere?  ???  ;D

FLBentRider

Quote from: pensrock on July 06, 2009, 05:22:48 PM
QuoteI might load up the RV and head to PA for some venison this fall too. Trouble is, I gotta take the kids out of school since they don't close the FL schools for PA's hunting season...

You mean the first day of deer season is not a holiday everywhere?  ???  ;D

Might as well add the Tuesday morning after a (home) MNF game. I block those off on my calendar.... haven't had to in a while..
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

La Quinta

Holy Crap OU....they look awesome....WOW...well done Mister!!  :)