• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Newbie question

Started by oscarb, July 07, 2009, 06:03:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oscarb

I just received my new Bradley Jim Beam digital smoker. I can't wait to try it.  Being new, I do have some quick questions though.  I have ribs and a Pork Lion ready to go.  I know people on here usually use butts for pulled pork, but before this I used pork lion in a crock pot with liquid smoke added and got decent results. 

Obviously now I would like to try my new smoker.  I would also like to get a brisket so I can maximize my use of the of the smoker each use.  I do have some quick questions though.  I have read where people say that it takes then up to 16 hours to finish a the pork.  I get the idea of watching the IT, but some people seem to say they pull the meat out after 4 or 5 hours and finish in an oven, and some seem to say they use the smoker as an oven for the rest of the time. So here are some questions:

1. Is there an advantage to one way over the other?  What are the pros and cons of each way? 
2. Since I want to also do Ribs, I notice many people say to finish them by boating them in apple juice in an oven, can you leave them in the smoker until they are ready after I am guessing about 6-8 hours or so when the IT hits 180 is it?

Thanks,

Oscar

Caneyscud

Quote from: oscarb on July 07, 2009, 06:03:08 AM

1. Is there an advantage to one way over the other?  What are the pros and cons of each way? 
2. Since I want to also do Ribs, I notice many people say to finish them by boating them in apple juice in an oven, can you leave them in the smoker until they are ready after I am guessing about 6-8 hours or so when the IT hits 180 is it?

Oscar, welcome to the forum - you will really enjoy your Bradley!  There is a learning curve, but not too much of one.

1.  If your oven, is accurate and doesn't vary too much, the oven can be simpler.  People don't seem to have a problem with leaving meat in their oven overnight, while they won't in the Bradley.  There has been instances of grease fires in the Bradley, but there have also been oven fires.  If the meat is put in the oven, it is usually wrapped with the addition of a little liquid.  That way, it enjoys it's own little sauna.  I'm old school, leave it in the smoker, unwrapped but mopping occassionally.  I like to think this gives me more and a better bark - but both ways are very tasty.
2.  6 to 8 hours will probably be a little too long for ribs.  Plus, you probably won't be able to take an accurate IT - too many bones.  Usually they are done when the meat pulls away and exposes the ends of the bones by 1/2" or so.   A link to a really good pictorial tutorial for making ribs in the Bradley is here: http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?t=581.  But to answer your question, yes you can leave them in the Smoker rather than boating.  Again, I am old school and don't foil or boat.  On the 4th, I did 3 racks of spareribs.  I trimmed them St Louis Style, but I also smoked the trimmings - my wife and daughter don't like to gnaw around the bone and cartilage found in the trimmings.  So they get the ribs, and I eat the trimmings.  Anyway, they took 6 -7 hours at 210 to 230 - I vary my temps during the cook sometimes.  And I mopped a couple of times with my favorite mop.  Turned our very tasty and tender. 
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

pensrock

Welcome to the forum, looks like your questions were answered very well. Sometimes I smoke the butts for four hours or so then move to the oven, but that is mainly during the cooler months but during the summer I normally finish in the Bradley. You only need four hours or so of smoke the rest of the time is cooking, low-n-slow. I keep my top vent wide open for most everything I do. When the smoke is done, empty and refill the water bowl, I only fill about half way, that gives room for rendered fat and jucies to be caught. I thiink most fires are caused by grease overflowing or getting too close to the heating element. Fire it up and have fun.  :)

FLBentRider

I would also add:

If you finish in the oven, the v-tray and racks are easier to clean.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!