• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

is that bowl big enough

Started by jesso, July 07, 2009, 06:42:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jesso

Hi All!

I just got my 4-rack Digital.

I plan on a pork butt this Friday night. 

I'm wondering ...

I want to do 8 hours of smoke.  This means 24 + 2 pucks right?

Is that bowl big enough to handle 24 pucks?

Is this something I need to worry about?  Like having to dump the bowl half way or something? I was just thinking the pucks may get blocked by a pile up or something.  ;D

Thanks
JJ

smokeitall

8 hours of smoke...wow.  I have never done more than 4 hours on my pork butt...But if you luv smoke 8 hours would be good =  26 pucks or 24 pucks plus 3 bubba pucks.

I would empty the bowl half way through the smoke process.  After you are done with the 8 hours of smoke make sure you put fresh water in and check the level every now and then, don't want that dryin up.

Did you season the smoker yet?

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum jesso!

First, I would not start with 8 hours of smoke. The smoke from the Bradley is much cleaner and stronger that other smokers, 8 hours would be too much.

I would do a max of four hours.  Better yet, start with 2.

In any case, you need to empty and refill the water bowl every four hours.

Check out or recipie site - http://www.susanminor.org/

And FAQ  - http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?p=748#post748
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

HawkeyeSmokes

Hello and welcome jesso, Was going to to give some advice but the only thing I
can add is to keep the vent open, preheat the Bradley and let the butt warm to room temp at least an hour before putting in the smoker.

Have fun with it.
HawkeyeSmokes

FLBentRider

For what's it's worth, I did smoke a port butt with 8 hours worth of pucks and to be honest I could not tell the difference when I did 4-5 hours.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Margareeman

Although i am new to this I do believe the meat will only obsorb so much smoke anyway so i think that many pucks will be a waste.

Smokin Soon

Thes guys got ya in the right direction. 4 hours is all you need. Do remember to empty the waterbowl after the 4 hours and refill the bowl. If you plan on an overnight cook, reset the Bradley before bed, as it will timeout after 9 hours 40 minutes. Hope this helps and have a great cook!

NePaSmoKer

Same as the rest of the gang. 2 to 4 hours is plenty of smoke. If your going to do a night smoke you should get an aluminum throw away cake pan for the water.

nepas

OU812

Welcome to the fun.

I am with the others 4 hr would be good for a butt any more and it will only stick to the surface and could create a bitter taste. 4 hr smoke the rest of the time is just cooking. A butt will take about 12 hr to get done but go by Internal temp and not time. The time is only a starting point to start checking things.

When I do an overnight cook I put an disposeable pan on the rack below the butt b4 I go to bed, that way it will catch all the drippings and you can sleep without any worries.

You will also have to reset the timer b4 bed as it will shut off at 9 hr 40 min.

lumpy

The boys have got you covered!
Great bunch information............8 hours of smoke is not needed. The longest I've ever smoked was 4 hours. If you want you can refill the pan while doing a mop or spray.

Lumpy

jesso

Thanks a lot folks!

So 4 hours smoke and until meat is 190 to 200 *F?

I plan on a 8 - 10 # pork butt.  I come from Texas offset smokers and hoping for an easier time in smoking with this Bradley.

I have noticed that the oven timer max is 9:40 hours.  Seeing 1 1/2 hours or so a pound I will have to reset that over timer to keep the heat on.

Jesso

Gizmo

Yes, the 9:40 is too short for some smokes and you will need to reset it before it shuts down.  If going over night, you reset the temp right before bed.   :D
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Smokin Soon

If you later decide to add a P.I.D. such as the Auber for tighter temp control, the 9:40 limit is not an issue anymore.

lumpy

I will usually smoke a pork shoulder for 3-4 hours then put it in a foil pan with apple juice and build a tent over the panwith tin foil . Insert a temp. probe, throw it in the oven and wait the rest of the time, 9-12 hours.

Lumpy

bbqjourney

Quote from: jesso on July 08, 2009, 06:43:17 PM
Thanks a lot folks!

So 4 hours smoke and until meat is 190 to 200 *F?

I plan on a 8 - 10 # pork butt.  I come from Texas offset smokers and hoping for an easier time in smoking with this Bradley.

I have noticed that the oven timer max is 9:40 hours.  Seeing 1 1/2 hours or so a pound I will have to reset that over timer to keep the heat on.

Jesso

The offset smokers you're used to in Texas put in way more smoke flavor than the Bradley, the Bradley is soooo much easier, but you cannot obtain the "stronger" smoke flavor you might be used to.  It's a serious trade-off.