• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Atlanta Eateries

Started by Caneyscud, July 08, 2009, 09:04:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caneyscud

Alright you foodies, need advice.  Going to Atlanta tonight for two nights.  Been to Atlanta several times the last few years but not with time enough to dine out.  It has been at least 6 years or more since I've been able to dine out in Atlanta.  What are good suspects?  I've done the Varsity, Pitty Pats Porch (my wife will probably want to go there), Buckhead Diner, Atlanta Fish Market.  So want to try something else.  Be staying in the Airport area.  Any ideas?  I'm thinking Phipps Tavern or the Virginia Highlands area - or may just go back to Atanta Fish unless somebody knows of another good fish place!
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

wiens4x4

Hals on old ivy is my favorite. Its a ways from the airport I believe.

Smokin Soon

This place is a lot of fun if you like Fondue and Jazz music.

http://www.dantesdownthehatch.com/

Caneyscud

Quote from: wiens4x4 on July 08, 2009, 09:11:31 AM
Hals on old ivy is my favorite. Its a ways from the airport I believe.
Also like Hals, have been there in better times, but I've had an economic downturn and need something without so many stars next to the price rating.

SaltSpringSmoker

Caney,

My brother in law Bo is from Atlanta (lives in Austin now) and most of his family and friends are still there.  He's a great guy and I've been to Atlanta with him a few times, mostly as an add-on to a Florida Gators football game trip (He's a HUGE Gators fan.  I mean HUGE! Runs the Texas Gators Fan Club for starters). 

Now I'm definitely no expert on Atlanta restaurants, but I can tell you where I've been and what I thought.  Atlanta Fish Market, as you say, is very good, and the best meal I have had in Atlanta I had there.  So my advice is not to mess with a sure thing. 

Bo's brother Mack lives in the Buckhead area and took us to a nice spanish/mexican place called Nava's (Nova's? Navo's? not sure about the spelling there).  It has a great patio and a nice atmosphere (my wife thought it was romantic and fun).  Food was good.  I had a steak dish prepared three different ways and the meat and spices were quite good.  My wife had a snapper dish that she claimed was absolutely excellent.  We both had the house special - the prickly pear margarita - which I liked (different but tasty) and she did not.  So don't know what to say there. 

But being that this is a BBQ page, I thought I might make a few comments on what little I know about Atlanta's offerings, starting with breakfast. 

Every time I've gone to Atlanta we have visited a place downtown called Ria's Bluebird for breakfast.  Everything is pretty good - the pancakes with pecans and banana are legendary and my wife's favorite.  But I want to write about one item in particular.  They serve a truly unique dish called the Brisket Breakfast that features, you guessed it, brisket with two poached eggs and hashbrowns.  Texas brisket (Kruez's Market, Louie Mueller's, etc.) is a good bit better imho, but I enjoyed the Ria's Brisket Breakfast nonetheless.

I've also gone to Fat Matt's Ribs.  No frills.  Had a blues trio playing the last time we went.  I gotta say it's not my favorite BBQ.  Really sweet sauce on the ribs, which I also thought could have been smoked a bit longer. 

I've also been to Harorld's BBQ.  Rougher part of town and likewise a no-frills joint, which I like.  I thought the BBQ, particularly the pulled pork, was good.  Better flavor and a sauce that suited my taste better when compared to the ribs at Fat Matt's.  Heard the stew is their specialty but I haven't ever tried it. 

Just my 2-cents worth,

SaltSpringSmoker

Caneyscud

Thanks for the replies guys!  As it turned out, we only go to go to one place.  I've been wanting to go to the Fish Market and did.  Great meal.  I settled for the broiled grouper while my wife that the fish and chips which there is mahi-mahi (dolphin).  Good eats, great service.  Had the calamari for appetizer - excellent.  Had a salad that wasn't on the menu, but recommended by our waitress.  That was quite possibly the best salad I have ever had in my life.  We've tried to replicate it a couple of times since back home - but don't have all the ingredients.  Didn't get to try anywhere else, as somehow, I messed up my back and was pretty much limited in what I could do (and sleeping wasn't one of them).  Had to wait till today, to get some real medicine for the pain - maybe finally some sleep tonight. 

My favorite place in Atlanta in the past is not there anymore.  It was the very up-scale place on top  of the Omni Hotel (no longer there, was torn down for something they built for the Olympics).  Every time we traveled to Atlanta to bid a job, we always stayed at the Omni, and either the boss or our bondsman would treat us to that restaurant.   Had some outstanding meals and beverages there!!  One that I remember was a Lamb Kidney dish, Unfortunately, it was the last time I dined there, but it was some of the best stuff to enter my mouth - ever!!!  Didn't get to make the Varsity or Pitty Pat's Porch (my wife's favorite) or a BBQ place because of my back.  Next time!

manxman

I know it is a long shot but don't suppose anyone has ever been to a restaurant a few miles out of Atlanta in Athens:

http://www.lastresortgrill.com/about.html

It is run by an old school friend of mine (Jaamy) who was on this side of the pond at the time, not been in touch for a good while now but came across it whilst I was having a nose around the internet at some of the names mentioned here.

Only been to America 3 times but I loved eating out there hence the interest in posts like this.  :)
Manxman

Caneyscud

Manx, the menu looks good.  Might have to try it next time.  Was on a business trip one time - stopped several places while in GA.  Ate lunch at this place called Dinglewood Pharmacy who's claim to fame was the "Scrambled Dog".  Remembered it a few years later while going through Athens.  My memory being what if is thought I had the scrambled dog in Athens and when asking around for anyone who had it, they looked at me like I was some kind of a hick from Nashville!  That's pretty low, when traveling in GA!

RocketSurgeon

The Cheeta Club has great BBQ...Oh wait, I don't think I remember it for the Great BBQ..........nevermind, let me just sit here with my memories. 8)