Making Jerky - Kiwi style

Started by Blue Legend, July 09, 2009, 02:11:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Legend

1) Secure an amount of bog standard 'on special' beef schnitzel (24 pieces fills a 6 rack Bradley)

2) cut in to strips with the grain of the meat

3) Didn't really take note of measures here for the marinade but it went something like this: mix with meat honey soy, habanero hot sauce, finely chopped up fresh fire-cracker chillies, salt, brown sugar and extra honey.....pretty much any BBQ steak marinade will work here, so get adventurous and don't be afraid to experiment.

4) place all ingredients in VAC PACK and seal being sure not vacuum all of the air out of the bag, so ingredients can be sloshed about and reassigned about the meat every few hours.....a click clack type container would work here I am sure as another option.

5) 3 days later, open bag and arrange beef strips on jerky racks.

6) I placed all 6 racks on top of each other and on to a roasting dish and back in to the fridge for a couple of hours to allow excess marinade a chance to drip away.

Drying and Smoking:

7) 1 hour @ 60degressC with no smoke to further dry off surface of meat, flip beef strips around 30mins in to prevent sticking.

8) 3 hours @ 70 degreesC with Special Blend Bradley Bisquettes

9) 3 hours @ 80 degreesC with no smoke

- from around the end of stage (8) several pieces had been jerkified so removed them and checked every 30minutes taking out any completed product before any had the chance to overcook....there is an easy way to tell if a piece is ready and that is the "bend test" (not sure what it's called but that will do)...basically bend the strip length ways and it should crack and show "white" fibres at the crease...if it snaps it's over done, if it bends like a piece of rubber it's still got some time to go.

NePaSmoKer

Tenpoint5

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on July 09, 2009, 03:42:11 PM
Thats how its done.

Nice

nepas

Are YOU sure Rick ? He is the first person that I know to actually admit to using special blend to cook and ingest meat. LOL :D ;D ;D
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on July 10, 2009, 06:17:12 AM
Thats how its done.

Nice

nepas

Are YOU sure Rick ? He is the first person that I know to actually admit to using special blend to cook and ingest meat. LOL :D ;D ;D

Yeah

Maybe its the smoke between my ears that made me say that  :D  :D

nepas

Blue Legend

Just give it a whirl Shirl, you may be pleasantly surprised  ;D

Gamefish

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on July 10, 2009, 06:17:12 AM
Thats how its done.

Nice

nepas

Hey 10.5 what flavours do you use for jerky, i also use special blend and find it gives a great flavour ;D

Mr Walleye

I use a lot of Hickory on jerky for my taste buds. I mainly use Hickory, Mesquite, Apple, Alder and Pecan, I've really never tried the special blend before.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Tenpoint5

Hickory Apple and Cherry are the ones I use Most. Although a box of Messy Wood found its way into the bottom of my cabinet one day. I think WTS sent me some BAD VOODOO and it showed up!! Doing a virgin run with Brisket so I will use it on that.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Smokin Soon

He must have sent that voodoo over here too cause I just looked at my storage and there is a 120 box of messeywood bisquettes and a 20 lb bag of pellets for the Treager. I would never have done that.