• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

I'm confused, I need a PID?

Started by jesso, July 10, 2009, 05:12:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jesso

People are saying I need a PID.  I bought a digital version to avoid this.

Do I need a PID?  They are $150 US + shipping to Canada. Man ....

I'm using it for the first time tonight and my oven temp says 207.

My Redi Chek Maverick dangling through the vent says 221.

EDIT:  Now the Maverick says 192 and the bradley say 212.  Is this real?  Makes no sense to me.

Gizmo

What are you smoking?

If you are not doing sausage or low temp fish,  you really have as much control as you need for everything else.  Been using a 6 Rack digital for 3 years without a PID and have not had a problem. 

You will see differences with the box temp reading and the maverick unless you put the maverick probe in the same location as the box sensor.  The temperature varies significantly from bottom to top especially with a large load and when first starting out. 

Not to worry as this smoker has been working magic for many years as is.  The PID is merely a nice tool for a little less attention, certainly not a requirement.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Smokin Soon

Giz is right on, I did not get a pid until I started doing Sausages as the temps are a bit more critical. You can do your Ribs Butts, Chicken, Pork Loins, ect without a worry. Just have fun and get the extra goodies when the demand is there. There is always a new toy, because that's our style here. Just do the things that you like to do in the Bradley and expand from there.

car54

I will second that thought!

Brad

jesso

Quote from: Gizmo on July 10, 2009, 07:52:12 PM
What are you smoking?

If you are not doing sausage or low temp fish,  you really have as much control as you need for everything else.  Been using a 6 Rack digital for 3 years without a PID and have not had a problem. 

You will see differences with the box temp reading and the maverick unless you put the maverick probe in the same location as the box sensor.  The temperature varies significantly from bottom to top especially with a large load and when first starting out. 

Not to worry as this smoker has been working magic for many years as is.  The PID is merely a nice tool for a little less attention, certainly not a requirement.

I'm smoking 8 # butt.

I guess its the diff in the temp probes.

Smokin Soon

Jess, that butt does not really care about temp swings as long  as it is the low and slow cook. Just get it to the desired IT and enjoy!

okiesmoke

Welcome Jesso!  I have the same problem - on a rib smoke today (two slabs in a 4 rack dbs) the ET-73 is 40 degrees lower than the Bradley.  Been in for 2 hours.  Do you adjust the Bradley to get the temp up per the ET-73?  I have the probe on the bottom right of 2nd rack from bottom.  Using the 2nd and 3rd racks w/ brick by waterpan and on the top rack.  Also, my temp adjustment jumps in 10 degree increments.  I s this right?  For 10.5 ribs @ 225, do I go 220 or 230?  Sorry for so many questions but hope it will help someone else also.

okie

HawkeyeSmokes

Hi okie, I would go by the temp on the ET-73. The location of the sensor is not in as good a location as your ET for monitoring the cooking temp. I try to use 220 to 230 for smoking those ribs with good luck. You will get some temp variation but  not to worry cooking ribs, butt, brisket and so on. Keeping the door closed helps maintain the heat also. The ribs will tell you when they are done because the meat should pull back from the end on the bones about 1/2 inch.
HawkeyeSmokes

mikecorn.1

I made my first set of pork ribs using 10.5's turorial and they came out perfect. I have a 4 rack digital. i kept the vent halfway open and the temp set at 230. It jumped from 23 up to 240 at one time down to 215. Dont worry, they will be fine. Didnt even have a et-73. Just look for the meat to crawl up the bones about 1/4 to 1/2 inch.
Mike

lumpy

I used my BDS for 2 years before I bought a PID and only because I started doing sausage.

Lumpy

Tenpoint5

I have had my DBS for 4 years and still don't have a PID for it.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

mcintoshaudio

Used my 6 rack DBS this weekend.

Did amberjack and salmon Saturday.

Smokes a butt, chicken, some sausage for a test, and some chicken breasts for smoked chicken salad.

All turned out great. Wife said sausage was the best she's had and the chicken was perfect.

I found the temp differences were fairly wide to start, but evened out when left alone.

I should have had the butt in longer. Very moist, but not pullable. Tasted great though.

All in all a great trial run.