• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Kielbasa and Venison Sausage Day...

Started by Mr Walleye, July 10, 2009, 10:41:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Walleye

I've been so busy at work and at a couple of other "projects" I seem to have been appointed to that I haven't had much time to make any sausage lately. So I decided to take a day off and make a little bit... 100 lbs! 

I started with Kielbasa. It's a favourite here with all the relatives and friends. I made 60 lbs of it. This time I decided to try using 55 mm fiberous casings for the heck of it. I usually mix in 20 lb batches. Hear is my current version of my recipe.

Kielbasa

10 lbs ground beef
10 lbs ground pork
4 cups water
10 Tbs salt
2 Tbs sugar
4 tsp cure #1
3 Tbs course black pepper
3 tsp garlic powder
4 tsp marjoram
4 tsp cayenne
2 cups whey powder or powdered milk

I also did some venison sausage. I wanted to try something different so I kind of concocted this based on a number of different recipes. I made 40 lbs of it, also stuffed in 55 mm fiberous casings and mixed in 20 lb batches.

Venison Sausage

8 lbs ground venison
12 lbs ground pork
4 cups water
10 Tbs salt
2 Tbs sugar
4 tsp cure #1
3 Tbs course black pepper
3 Tbs garlic powder
3 Tbs oregano
4 Tbs paprika
3 Tbs chipotle powder
2 Tbs mustard seed
2 cups whey powder or powdered milk

Here's a few pictures...

Click to enlarge...

Full load... all 100 lbs at once

Venison all packaged up...

Kielbasa all packaged up...

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

lumpy

You keep that up and you will put Schnieders out of business ;)

The Martins (Menonites) in my area would make you an honerary member on the spot!

I think you made too much......Too bad I'm not closer.

Lumpy

Tenpoint5

Looks Great Mike!! Wish I could take a day off and just make sausage.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

NePaSmoKer

Very nice Mike

If the few of us that make sausage got together we could put the martins, weavers, stolzfus and parker bros all out of business.

nepas

pensrock

looks great Mike. Your kielbasa recipe looks very close to the one I use. Most of the time I use 100% pork though. If I mix another meat in with it its venison but I only put 10% venison in so it does not get too dry.

Mr Walleye

Quote from: pensrock on July 11, 2009, 06:28:53 AM
looks great Mike. Your kielbasa recipe looks very close to the one I use. Most of the time I use 100% pork though. If I mix another meat in with it its venison but I only put 10% venison in so it does not get too dry.

I have had that problem in the past. What I started doing was increasing the fat content in the pork that I use. In the above recipe for venison its 60% pork and 40% venison. At this ratio I like to have at least 30% fat in the pork. The texture and moisture content turned out very well.

I had a quick taste of the venison sausage when I was packaging it and it tastes good but I think for my taste I would like a little more heat to it. I'll see how it is as it ages a bit. I could always use a little more chipotle or add some cayenne to it next time.

That's what makes sausage making so great... playing with ingredients until you get it dialled into your taste buds.  ;)

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

OU812

Nice little batch of sausage you made.

Looks like you had a fun day.

easyridinole

WOW! That looks like a lot of sausage and it looks like it turned out great!

Ole
Most people hate the taste of beer - to begin with. It is, however, a prejudice that many people have been able to overcome.     -WINSTON CHURCHILL-

Caribou

Hi Mike,
Those look fantastic!
Thanks for posting your recipes so we can make some too. :)
Carolyn

BigJohnT

Mike,

Thanks for posting the Kielbasa recipe. I'm sure that will be my first sausage that I smoke.

John