TEXAS CAVIAR

Started by Tenpoint5, July 11, 2009, 03:38:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tenpoint5

Made me a fresh batch this morning. Thought I would share if I haven't before.

Texas Caviar

3 15oz(?) cans of Black Eyed Peas/beans
½ small red onion, chopped and diced thin
½ cup, + or -, canned jalapeno's, chopped fine
2 cloves of garlic crushed (3/4 Tbsp Garlic Powder)
ground black pepper to your taste
a few good drops of your favorite hot sauce
1/3 cup, + or -, zesty Italian dressing *

Drain the beans, add the rest of the ingredients except dressing. Stir well. Add dressing and stir until your desired consistency, adding more if you like. Let sit overnight. Stir and adjust your heat level, if needed. Serve with tortilla chips.

* olive oil and red wine vinegar can be substituted here.

All amounts are approximate and open to any interpretation

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

pensrock

I've heard of Texas Caviar before but really had no idea what it was. Thanks,
pens

Caribou

Thanks for the great bean recipe 10.5!
Yeah, I was wondering what Texas Caviar was, too.
Was worried it might be like a Rocky Mt Oyster  ;)
Carolyn

Tenpoint5

RMO's are really good Carolyn. Even better when someone doesn't know what they is and then you tell them after they have eaten a whole bunch and said "Man these are Good"

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Caribou

Hi 10.5!
I've had them once a long, long time ago. 
They were pretty good but what I really love are sweetbreads, breaded and fried!
Carolyn

Smokin Soon

I make a similar one to that and add leftover Habs Canadian and Home smoked Cajun Brats. Let it gurgle in a crock pot for a while. Friends have stated they did not really care for Black Eyed peas, but really inhale this one. I like it with homemade Cornbread.

Smokin Soon

I forgot, Beans and Wings.....Yum!

HawkeyeSmokes

Quote from: Smokin Soon on July 11, 2009, 09:10:07 PM
I forgot, Beans and Wings.....Yum!

Dang 10.5, your Texas caviar sounded so good, then SS had to add wings!!  :D Looks like a perfect meal!! Keep up the good work!
HawkeyeSmokes

pensrock

Carolyn,
  I've heard of 'sweetbreads' before but am not sure what it is. I know it something gross that I would never eat but what is it?  ???
Thanks,
pens

Caribou

Quote from: pensrock on July 12, 2009, 05:27:33 AM
Carolyn,
  I've heard of 'sweetbreads' before but am not sure what it is. I know it something gross that I would never eat but what is it?  ???
Thanks,
pens
Hi Pens,
The sweetbreads on cattle or sheep are the thymus gland in the chest. 
They are pretty small, about a pound or so.
You would never know they came from a steer when you tasted them.
when they are all fried up they taste almost just like fried chicken skin.
We raise 2-3 steers every year here and we so look forward to the sweetbread dinner we have the day after they are slaughtered.
They just make up enough for one dinner for three!

SmokinSoon!
Your wings and beans look awesome!
Carolyn

pensrock

Thanks, I was thinking it was brain, kidney or some other innerd.  :o

Thanks for the info, it does sound good.  ???  :)

Tenpoint5

SS, Yours is served HOT? Mine is served cold with tostito chips (I like Scoops) Now wings they mike just add something to the game!! This last batch I added some of the Chinese red pepper sauce, The one with the chicken on the bottle. That is what was needed to give that little sumfin sumfin at the end!! :o :o ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Smokin Soon

Mine is usually served hot. I make a big crockpot full and vac seal into portions. I also forgot to mention during the slow gurgle process I add low sodium chicken stock to keep it from getting too thick. I always added a couple of shots of Ice's sauce to the mix, but after running out I just use some spicy BBQ sauce. I have made some to serve cold mixed with some canned Cuban Black Beans that was pretty darned good.

Hopefull Romantic

Hi there TenPoint5,

It seems that I have made a big mistake joining this forum.

26 years ago i went down from 205 to 150 pounds and have been able to maintain the weight pretty well. Now and with the likes of you I am going to gain it all back and then some. This recipe looks so good I going to the market right now to buy the ingredients and will have it for dinner tonight along with smoked breast (charcoal) Man OH Man it looks good.

Keep up the good work, please

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

Mr Walleye

Quote from: Hopefull Romantic on July 16, 2009, 06:32:49 AM
Hi there TenPoint5,

It seems that I have made a big mistake joining this forum.

26 years ago i went down from 205 to 150 pounds and have been able to maintain the weight pretty well. Now and with the likes of you I am going to gain it all back and then some. This recipe looks so good I going to the market right now to buy the ingredients and will have it for dinner tonight along with smoked breast (charcoal) Man OH Man it looks good.

Keep up the good work, please

HR

:D  :D  :D  :D  ;D

I hear ya!  ;)

You could try my simple method....

Eat in moderation..... (no more than 3 helpings)  ;)

Add a little bit of exercise.... (you know, instead of having the BS right out side your back door, set it up another 10 feet away. Same applies to the beer fridge, just keep them in the garage instead of the house)  ;)

:D  :D  :D  :D  ;D

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes