Two pork butts - with pics

Started by pensrock, July 11, 2009, 07:39:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pensrock

Well I picked up a couple butts and just put them into the smoker.

#1 is injected and slathered with Carolina Treet that a very good friend so kindly given me. I have not tried this before but comes highly recommended.

#2 is PYM (plain yellow mustard) with BBBR (Bad Byron's Butt Rub). I also mixed up some of the rub with olive oil and injected the butt.

Click to enlarge:

Butts rubbed and injected.

Going into the smoker @ 210 F for four hours of apple/hickory mix.

Door closed, vent wide open, water in the bowl, smoker preheated to 250 F.

More to follow as it progresses.

Mr Walleye

Lookin' forward to more pics Pens!

:P   :P   :P   :P   :P

I'll try to patiently wait!  ::)  :D

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

pensrock

Mike, it takes many hours as you well know.  :D

I can't wait to try thm myself.  :)

beefmann

cant wait till done... did 14 lbs of pork butt for the 4 th and it took 19 hours

Superporky

Alright so Im wondering why you have the vent open.  Wont all of your moisture escape and dry the meat out? 

KyNola

SuperPork,
Vent should ALWAYS be open to let the moisture out and prevent the smoke from backing up into your smoke generator and effectively destroying the generator.  I run mine with the vent open at a minimum of 50%.  With poultry 100% open.

KyNola

pensrock

QuoteAlright so Im wondering why you have the vent open.  Wont all of your moisture escape and dry the meat out?

Kynola has it covered. Mine is always at least 1/2 open.

Smokin Soon

Very interesting idea, injecting with Carolina Treet. Let us know how the flavor comes through after the cook.

pensrock

SS one thing for sure, it won't hurt.  ;D I have never used/tried the CT before so I am very interested in how it comes out.

The butts just came out and are wrapped to FTC till morning. Its too late to mess with them now.
I'll post pics tomorrow of the finished product.

Smokin Soon

Pens, Nepa got me interested in that stuff from one of his posts, I cannot buy it locally so I buy a case of 12 online. My Cajun Injector is cocked and loaded if yours comes out good!

Superporky

Ok so Im guessing that all the moisture being kept inside the tower due to the closed vent is what will damage the smoke generator?  Also, Im gathering based on your comments regarding this issue, that there is no worries about drying out your meat by opening the vent on top?

HawkeyeSmokes

Quote from: KyNola on July 11, 2009, 12:19:08 PM
SuperPork,
Vent should ALWAYS be open to let the moisture out and prevent the smoke from backing up into your smoke generator and effectively destroying the generator.  I run mine with the vent open at a minimum of 50%.  With poultry 100% open.

KyNola

Hi Super, as Ky said, keep that vent open to let the moisture out and keep the smoke from backing up into the generator. That will do some damage to the generator and the meat being smoked.
HawkeyeSmokes

seemore

Pens, what time will dinner be tomorrow?   ;)

pensrock

Also if the vent is closed the smoke will condensate and drip onto the meat and ruin it. It would be like eating creosote from a chimney.

The air comes in through the generator to allow the smoke to flow up past the food and it escapes through the stack, heat rises and carries the smoke with it which pulls air into the tower through the generator. If there is no air movement it will become stagnet and heat can back up into the generator as well as moisture and black tar like substance from the burning pucks.

I have never had a problem with a butt drying out, I have gotten dry fish before but that was my fault because I left it in too long.

Seemore..... right around noon will be fine. I have about 17 pounds so that may even last till supper.  ;) ;D

Superporky

Well thanks for the info guys this will be very helpful.