Blue Marlin

Started by car54, July 11, 2009, 02:25:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

car54

I bought some Blue Marlin steaks. Does any one have any cooking suggestions?

Thanks, Brad

pensrock

I did not even know marlin was eaten?  ???

Ka Honu

I don't particularly like marlin (too oily) other than marinated and smoked, but you can pretty much use any recipe you have for tuna or swordfish.

seemore

How about some olive oil mixed with just a squeeze of fresh lemon and some fresh dill?  Perhaps a little salt and pepper rubbed on it before you put the oil on?

CB

Sam Choy prepares a dish of seared marlin poke (poh - kay) that is awesome (da kine = the best) at his restaurants in Hawaii. Smaller pieces are marinated, then seared hot & fast and dipped in a dressing of soy, ginger, green onion and other good stuff.  

Ginger Marinated Seared Sashimi
2 inch chunks
marinate 45 minutes to an hour in 2tsp fresh minced ginert
1.2 cup shoyu (soy) sauce
1Tbsp brown sugar
1/2 tsp sesame oil
2 finely minced hot chili peppers

grill on on all sides over VERY HOT charcoal to get it browned quickly, less than 10 seconds or so!
You can slice these into sashimi slices about 1/4 or less thick and display on shredded cabbage with this dipping sauce

combine -
1/4 cup minced ginger
1/2 cup chopped Chinese parsley
1/4 cup minced scallions or green onions
2 cloves minced garlic
1/2 cup light vegetable oil (canola, etc.)
- in blender for 30 seconds and adjust seasoning with salt and white pepper (black pepper no good)

That's pretty much a direct quote from his cookbook Sam Choy - Cooking From the Heart

Believe me - dis is da kine!
Happy Grilling!

Caribou

Hi Car54!
My dad was a big time striped marlin fisherman when I was a kid.
He tagged and released most of them but he would keep one now and then and have it smoked.
It was fantastic and the only way I remember eating them.
Carolyn

Ka Honu

Quote from: Caribou on July 12, 2009, 12:30:17 PM... have it smoked.
It was fantastic and the only way I remember eating them.

Pretty much the only way to eat marlin unless you're really hungry.  It's one of the favorite pupus (appetizers) in Hawaii and goes great with beer.