• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Pulled Pork help Please and Thanks

Started by oakville smoker, July 12, 2009, 12:26:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oakville smoker

Good day all

Finally found a place to buy a butt.  Its about a 9 pounder and bone has been removed.

Its Sunday afternoon and this will be next Sunday nights dinner ( pulled pork post Open Championshiship.   I have all the time I need.  Maybe too much time?????  Maybe this needs to spend a couple of days in the freezer?  maybe not.......

Now, I need some suggestions on how to cook this baby.  I can pull together a rub easily enough.  Lots of recipes around here.
What is the longest period of time I can leave the rub on in the fridge?  What will give me the best results?  How long should I expect this to be in the smoker?  I read many differing opinions on this.  I was guessing 20 hours ?

I probably sound like a newbie and that is because I am !

Help here is always great and as always I appreciate it !
All I wanted to do was slow smoke some ribs.  Another addiction created thanks to the Bradley that requires regular servicing...  But what an addiction to have.  Even better to share here with some of the best people on the planet.

Would you like smoke with that sir ?

NePaSmoKer

Rub the butt and wrap real tight in clear wrap. Air is the bad thing here. I have left tight rubbed butts in the fridge for 3 days. If your just smoking the one butt you can expect times from 8 to 15 hours depending on outside temps. Keep your vent 1/2 open and water in the pan.

Pre heat your smoker and generator at  225* before you place the butt in. Then start the smoke rolling. Smoke you want from 2 to 4 hours.

I take my butts to an IT of 190 and 200* then foil wrap and place in a cooler. FTC

Some members use a foil boat. Place the butt in an aluminum pan to keep moist. Cover with foil around at an IT of 140*

Lots of variations with doing butts.

nepas

La Quinta

Gotta tell ya...I smoke for 4 hours...and bring it in the house...I tend to use a crock pot for another 9-12 hours so I can sleep at night...You can make your own decision...(I'm not crazy about leaving it to cook outside all night) but I believe I'm in the minority. I prefer a low and slow wet cook...I just plop it in the crock pot on low and go to bed...get up the next morning and it's done and fab!!

deb415611

Quote from: La Quinta on July 12, 2009, 07:24:17 PM
Gotta tell ya...I smoke for 4 hours...and bring it in the house...I tend to use a crock pot for another 9-12 hours so I can sleep at night...You can make your own decision...(I'm not crazy about leaving it to cook outside all night) but I believe I'm in the minority. I prefer a low and slow wet cook...I just plop it in the crock pot on low and go to bed...get up the next morning and it's done and fab!!

I bring mine in the house for the same reason except I put in a foil pan without cover and finish in the oven at 210.   I tried one overnight smoke in the Bradley and didn't sleep so I decided it wasn't the way to do it for me.   I need to try LQ's way just as soon as I figure out where I left my big crockpot ???

oakville smoker

Thank you one and all.
I am going to try to keep this in the fridge until about Wed in a big freezer bag.
I will lay some rub on it and leave until Friday night.  Into the Bradley Saturday morning.

Just curious...   why the paranoia about an overnight cook in the Bradley?  Animal issues?  Fire?
Break down?  Power failure?  Inquiring minds want to know as I am really leaning toward an overnighter in the Bradley as opposed to slow cook.

Thanks again all.  Maybe one day I will be able to help someone here as opposed to always begging for help.
All I wanted to do was slow smoke some ribs.  Another addiction created thanks to the Bradley that requires regular servicing...  But what an addiction to have.  Even better to share here with some of the best people on the planet.

deb415611

Quote from: oakville smoker on July 13, 2009, 04:48:26 AM

Just curious...   why the paranoia about an overnight cook in the Bradley?  Animal issues?  Fire?
Break down?  Power failure?  Inquiring minds want to know as I am really leaning toward an overnighter in the Bradley as opposed to slow cook.

this is my fear, I am a worrier, sometimes rightfully so but not always......... I think this is only the second time that I have read this since I joined but it does happen every once in awhile   http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=10120.0    In this case WTS is experienced and does everything correct to prevent but it did happen..........  if it were to ever happen to me I want to be awake for it since my smoker is on the deck attached to my house.  If I had a spot away from the house that was pretty open I might do it differently. 

My method of bringing it in the house oven is essentially the same as if I were to finish in the Bradley..... once the smoke is done the bradley is just an oven. 

It did feel "wrong" the first few times I finished things in the house oven, but only for the first few times.  I think you will find that there are many who finish in the oven. 

oakville smoker

YOWSER and some other expletives !
No over night smoke for me after looking at this.
I have a slow cooker that goes low med hot
I think this is going to be a "low" in the slow cooker for as long as it takes.
I have a gas oven and the thought of having that on all night is a little scarier than the Bradley.

Thanks for sharing this.  I am sure its an isolated incident but I would have trouble sleeping with the Bradley on my deck outside the master bedroom.

Thanks for posting this

KyNola

Oakville,
I'm with Deb on this.  4 hours in the Bradley and then in the house.  I finish mine in the gas oven sitting on a roasting rack in a roasting pan uncovered with no fluid in the pan.  The crockpot or slow cooker will work just as well though.

Either way, you're gonna have some awesome pork!

KyNola

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: oakville smoker on July 13, 2009, 10:15:49 AM
YOWSER and some other expletives !
No over night smoke for me after looking at this.
I have a slow cooker that goes low med hot
I think this is going to be a "low" in the slow cooker for as long as it takes.
I have a gas oven and the thought of having that on all night is a little scarier than the Bradley.

Thanks for sharing this.  I am sure its an isolated incident but I would have trouble sleeping with the Bradley on my deck outside the master bedroom.

Thanks for posting this

You may want to read this for more information.

Is there any fire hazardous using this smoker and how do I prevent it?

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

oakville smoker

Thanks Habs.
This is really good information.  Its logical.  Never thought about a fire extinguisher for the Bradley but it certainly makes sense.  We probably truly dont appreciate the fire risks with these units.  I might even remove mine from my deck, but damn I love the convenience.

I think I will get up early Saturday morning, 4 30 AM for golf anyway and start the smoke before breakfast.  I will let the unit go pretty much the whole day and then do a re heat on Sunday while me and me blokes are watching the Open Championship from Turnberry.  I am not sure the Britsih royalty would approve of pulled pork but we really dont know what they do behind closed castle doors do we?

Thanks for the help and guidance all. 

Habanero Smoker

I was at a Barbecue Festival, and there was a team from England competing. I don't remember their team name, or how well they did. They mentioned there is not much barbecue over there, let alone any competition. They have a few sponsors, and compete in about 3 to 4 contest a year.

They are working at a disadvantage. They have no equipment over here, so they have to borrow equipment from others, or those sponsoring the event. It's got to be tough competing when you have to learn the equipment you are using as you compete.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

La Quinta

I truly bring it in the house because, I like Deb, am a worrier...PLUS...the meat has really gotten all it's gonna get from the smoker (IMHO)...no real reason to leave it outside...oven, crock pot, stove...whatever....the smoker has done it's job...ya might as well sleep tight...but that's me...The Bradley turns into an oven (without question) but don't ya wanna wake up and smell smoked meat just finishing off in the house...????  ;D

I'm not that bright...but dang that smells good!!!  ;D