• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

How long before sausages hit 150F?

Started by brianl, July 12, 2009, 12:46:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brianl

Hello all

I'm a proud new owner a a 6 rack digital smoker.

My question is, roughly how long does it take before the sausages hit 150F?

I'm following Rytek Kutas instructions, and am making Hungarian Paprika sausages.  They went in last night around 6PM, the smoker had pre heated to 130F for about an hour previously.  I then upped the temperature 10 degrees every hour until I hit 160F.  I checked before I went to bed, nowhere near ready, and in the morning, after about 12 hours, they were about 110F.  I bumped the temp up to 170F, and around 2:00PM today (18 hours in), they were at 133F.  I'm going to check them at 4:00, and if they're not done, I'll bump it up to 180F.

Rytek says once you hit 160, hold it there until they hit 150F.  Seems to me that will take about 24 hours - is this normal?  They look good, and don't look like they've rendered much (if any) fat, it just seems to take a long time.

Top vent is about 1/2 open, and I'm measuring the temperature using a Thermapen, which I'm confident in it's accuracy.

Any help welcome,

Thanks

Brian

NePaSmoKer

Welcome to the forum Brian.

The sticks can take anywhere from 9 to 20 hours depending on how much your smoker is loaded. Bump to 180* keep an eye on em. You dont have any water in the pan do you? If so empty the pan and replace it back under the smoke generator. Click the vent back to 1/4 open. Move the sticks around so the back of them (element side) dont turn into burger.

Here are the one i did awhile back. I am using a Bradley propane unit here. http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=10401.0
I had to bump to 200*

nepas

brianl

OK, Thanks

Closed the vent to 1/4.  Bumped to 190F now.  I put two thermometer probes in, and it seems the Bradley is reading almost 30 degrees low.  Is this normal?  I know better, don't know why I waited so long the check...

Any downside (i.e. - danger) to this? 

I like the way you didn't form links, just one long sausage, and cut it up after wards.  I think I'll do that next time.

Just checked them - 142F - In the home stretch!

Thanks

Brian

Mr Walleye

Quote from: brianl on July 12, 2009, 01:49:14 PM
Any downside (i.e. - danger) to this? 

It shouldn't be a problem Brian. As long as you used Cure #1 when you made the sausage.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

brianl

Yep, Instacure #1 was used.

Kicking myself for not putting a probe in right at the outset.

Oh well, no harm done overall,

Thanks

Brian

Mr Walleye

Hey that's why it's called learning Brian. No big deal, just gotta log that one in the memory bank.  ;D

Let us know how the sausage comes out.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

lumpy

Hey NePas
I noticed your comment on having the bowl empty. I understand that you want to eliminate moisture in the sticks but don`t we need water in the pan to extinguish the pucks.

I had the water bowl full on this run and it took 10 hours

Lumpy

NePaSmoKer

Goodmorning Lumpy

Yes thats what the water is there for but when the smoking puck gets into the water that creates steam. Some sausage require low temps and a certain % of RH, where the water in this case would be ok.

I got 10lbs of dry cured landjaeger going right now. Cold smoke for 4 days.

But like everything else its personal preference. If it works for ya cool beans  ;D

nepas

lumpy

brianl

Hi all

Sorry for the late update, but they finally finished.

Turned out pretty good, I was hoping for more heat.  Recipe called for 6Tb paprika, I used 3Tb regular, 3Tb hot, and they aren't hot at all.  Still good though.

Thanks for all the help, I'll be asking lots more soon, looking at doing my first sausage that uses Cure #2, whatever that may end up being (Landjaeger is looking like a candidate).

Thanks again,

Brian