• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Landjaeger

Started by NePaSmoKer, July 13, 2009, 08:44:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NePaSmoKer

Got 10lbs of Landjaeger going in cold smoke right now. This is day 2 of the smoke. I used cure #2 for these and the IT is at 74* and i have an RH of 32% in the box. The meat grind was 90/10 ground chuck 8lbs and 2lbs of ground pork. Smoke applied is heavy at almost 14 hours now.

The sticks have a couple more days yet.

nepas

OU812

14 hr of smoke?  Did I read that rite?

Blue Legend

Nepas, whats Landjaeger?? Is it another name for paprika sticks, sausage, or chorizo??

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: OU812 on July 13, 2009, 03:12:16 PM
14 hr of smoke?  Did I read that rite?

Yes 13 hours 40 mins to be exact. Landjaeger gets heavy smoke.

But in my stick box. Way different than in the BS. I have a fan on the end. If you did a 14 hour smoke in your BS you might as well just eat a peice of RR tie  :P

Fan in stick box.

nepas

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Blue Legend on July 13, 2009, 03:35:02 PM
Nepas, whats Landjaeger?? Is it another name for paprika sticks, sausage, or chorizo??

Landjaeger is hunters sausage. Its dried rather than smoked with heat. You use cure #2 when you make dried snack sticks. With cure #2 there is really no need for refrigeration.

nepas

Blue Legend

Thanks  I use Bradley cures, honey, maple and sugar but you guys talk of cure #1 and 2. Are they the same Bradley cures or a different product altogether?

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Blue Legend on July 13, 2009, 03:45:27 PM
Thanks  I use Bradley cures, honey, maple and sugar but you guys talk of cure #1 and 2. Are they the same Bradley cures or a different product altogether?

Bradley cure contain cures too that are mixed in. Cure #1 & #2 are two different that you need to measure into your mix.

nepas

deb415611

Quote from: Blue Legend on July 13, 2009, 03:45:27 PM

here is a link to sausagemaker.com faq on cures   http://www.sausagemaker.com/index.asp?PageAction=Custom&ID=36#cures
also allied kenco which has cure #1 and all the names that it is also know as.....  http://www.alliedkenco.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/1465

the bradley cure would probably be cure #1 plus other ingredients

Blue Legend

Thanks Deb ;D That cleared everything up just nicely

NePaSmoKer

Landjaeger done. Having the right RH is key to doing these. My hygrometer was at 71% RH. I didnt use natural or protein lined casing on these so they took a bit longer to do.

The key is to be careful when using cure #2, spoilage can occur fast here.

nepas

OU812

Looking good I can almost taste them from here.

The spoilage thing is what keeps me from making Genoa Salami, which is my favorite kind of sausage.

Maybe when my life slows down a bit and I have the time to keep an eye on it then I will build a box that I can control the RH and Temp, some day.

Caribou

Beautiful Nepas!
What is the country is Landjaeger from?
Or is it the country where Mick came from? ;)
Carolyn

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Caribou on July 14, 2009, 07:30:43 AM
Beautiful Nepas!
What is the country is Landjaeger from?
Or is it the country where Mick came from? ;)
Carolyn

Germany i think. Landjaeger means land hunter.

nepas

dilly

Boy that Laandjaeger looks great!  It is a German type of sausage that you pop into your pocket and carry with you when you are out hunting and need a snack.  Around where I live there is heavy German heritage and Laandjaeger is always formed with edges for some reason.  It is in a natural casing but they press it into a rectangle shape instead of a cylinder. 
I would love to try making it with venison.  Do you have a recipe I could get from you?
My meat goes from field to table by my own hands.

smokeitall

13 hours 40 minutes of smoke = around $15 is smoke...wow those better be some darn good sausages, from the pics they look like they are.
SIA